IGNORED

Manual - Lost Days, Open Skies and Streaming Tides

BOCfan

The skinny from Jonas' myspace page:

"June 25 will see the release of the long awaited Manual double cd "Lost Days, Open Skies and Streaming Tides" – a collection of rarities, remixes, covers, unreleased pieces and brand new tracks – including a new collaboration with Cocteau Twins mainman Robin Guthrie. Spanning the period from 2002, around Ascend, up to now, this is a collection that covers the entire spectrum of Jonas Munks stylings; from the minimalist drone soundscapes, to the over-the-top 1980s influenced shoegazing electronica à la his masterpiece Azure Vista, from the sweet pop-influenced gems to abstract blissed-out timeless guitar ambient. Munk's trademarks are all over the 19 pieces on this double disc set: the highly adventurous sense of composition that is still so unheard of in electronic music – always taking the listener on a colourful journey instead of relying on repetitions like most other artists in his field -, the mix of well-programmed beats and electronics against surreal, shimmering, heavily treated guitars, and the sunbathed 1980s romantic melancholia that has become Jonas Munk's signature sound. It is hard to think of a more perfect introduction to Munk's music, and for fans of his work this is simply a must! All in all, "Lost Days, Open Skies and Streaming Tides" includes almost an hours worth of previously unreleased music. In Jonas' own words: "Instead of compiling every single rarity out there or every unreleased piece in the drawer, I only wanted to include the stuff that I feel is absolutely up to standard with my best work, and I feel this collection is just as important and representative of what I want to do as my most celebrated works such as Azure Vista or Ascend".

Disc 1 represents the grandiose, super-layered, mesmerizing sounds that is familiar to fans of Azure Vista, Isares and Ascend, where firm, occasionally complex, beats melts together with moist and dreamy guitars, heavenly female vocals and headspinning old-school synths. It includes one of Manuals most beloved pieces, "Summer Haze", as well as "Blue Skied' an Clear", the title track from 2002's Slowdive tribute on Morr Music. It also includes previously unreleased remixes of Port Royal, Antenne and Australian pop group Suvome, and a cover of one of Jan Hammer's original Miami Vice themes. On top of that there is a piece Jonas composed as a jingle for a Danish radio show, "Into The Blue", a brand new collaboration with Robin Guthrie and three previously unreleased gems.

Disc 2 represents the more minimal, guitar-drone side of Manual. This aspect of Jonas Munk's work is less celebrated, but the few who appreciates it truly treasure albums like "The North Shore" and "Bajamar" as top-notch ambient works. These pieces, based on treated guitar work, blends classic ambient with minimalist classical music and processing experiments to create very unique sounds that are surreal yet warm and organic, and maintains Jonas' insist on the compositional element. This side of his work has been compared to Manuel Göttsching, Arvo Pärt and Brian Eno, but references hardly does justice to its unique evocative qualities. "The River", a 23 minute ultra-minimalist piece, was composed in 2003 for a Danish release but was withdrawn due to financial reasons. "Dizzy Sun" and "Seleva" has previously been released on Darla's compilation series and is among Munk's finest ambient work. Besides that disc 2 includes four previously unreleased pieces.

All in all two hours of music wrapped in deluxe eight panel digipack with artwork by Jakob Skøtt. The soundtrack for the summer!

Track list:

Disc 1

1. the wind-up bird (previously unreleased)

2. summer haze (from Blue Skied an Clear)

3. a real america (remix of Suvome - from Sutemos 2)

4. blue shibuya dream (previously unreleased)

5. october sky (previously unreleased)

6. into the blue (radio jingle - previously unreleased)

7. black eyed dog (remix of Antenne – released on "Dansk Lyd")

8. crossing signals (previously unreleased)

9. marbella (collaboration with Robin Guthrie - previously unreleased)

10. blue skied an clear (Slowdive cover – released on Blue Skied an Clear)

11. crystal pier (from Sutemos 2)

12. karola bloch (remix of Port Royal – previously unreleased)

13. crockett's theme (cover of Jan Hammer's Miami Vice theme – released on Little Darla 23)

Disc 2

1. the river (previously unreleased)

2. open skies (previously unreleased)

3. andaman (previously unreleased)

4. april trees daydream (previously unreleased)

5. junitaki (previously unreleased)

6. dizzy sun (from Little Darla 24)

7. seleva (from Little Darla 21)

I'm thoroughly looking forward to this. I'm a big fan of Manual, and if one of the tracks from this compilation is anything to go by (Blue Shibuya Dream - it's currently playing on his myspace jukebox) , this should be a great addition my collection.

Though it says above that the compilation is to be released on June 25th, I don't think it is is currently available. I emailed Boomkat to ask if they're going to be stocking it, and they said it should be coming in in a few weeks time.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Archrival

Got to have this one!!! drooooools :omg:

Bajamar

Azure Vista

and Ascend are all classics imo.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not a huge manual fan, my favorite of his was actually the north shore with jess kahr...but the title of this record is awesome! i just might check it out.

i'm not a huge manual fan, my favorite of his was actually the north shore with jess kahr...but the title of this record is awesome! i just might check it out.

Yep, the North Shore is a very underrated ambient record imo, I thought Bajamar was pretty good too but it can get a little monotonous at times...

Archived