IGNORED

mordant music ~ carrion squared

Guest tidbit

Guest tidbit

Label: Mordant Music

Catalog#: MM015

Format: CD, Album

Released: Jun 2007

Notes: In the summer of 2006 Mordant Music were approached by Boosey & Hawkes to contribute to a library

album of 'drone' based pieces. Out of more than 200 tracks composed for the project, 22 were eventually

included and released as a Film & TV industry-only CD entitled 'The Drone Continuum' as part of the Strip

Sounds catalogue.

'Carrion Squared' collects 40 synthetic pieces which were omitted from the final commission.

All tracks are between 22 seconds and 2 minutes 34 seconds in length, and range in style from

hackneyed preset to modified starch.... enjoy.... endure.

---Baron Mordant & Admiral Greyscale, Spring 2007

Tracklisting:

1 Astley's Lament (0:44) 2 Analog Daniels (1:04) 3 Blast Screen (1:45) 4 Boersma (1:30) 5 Chiedozie Maj7 (1:29) 6 Crack Of Krakow (0:59) 7 Curlew (1:48) 8 Debbie Does Poggenpohl (0:49) 9 Deportivo Suppressant (1:18) 10 Dungeness (0:57) 11 Fading Font (2:18) 12 Final Score Pathos (1:02) 13 Fine-Toothed Ohm (1:35) 14 Gang Lion (1:43) 15 Gavreau (2:08) 16 Genuflect (0:53) 17 Greyscale (0:29) 18 Innate Dog (0:31) 19 Insufferable Socket (0:34) 20 I've Found One (2:02) 21 Keep Whacking Me (1:26) 22 Little Hanging Sac (2:13) 23 Minor Pete (1:58) 24 Minotaur In A Tollbooth (0:22) 25 My Life In The Nest Of Piezo Horns (1:17) 26 NASL (2:32) 27 New Leonard (1:16) 28 No Keith (1:01) 29 Olbas Miasma (1:42) 30 Paepl (0:34) 31 Pessary (0:30) 32 Poly-Coypu (1:59) 33 Rodney Imbues (1:07) 34 Sincere Blanc (1:53) 35 Slowly Turning Shit (0:38) 36 Telomere (1:23) 37 Torrid Slot (0:58) 38 Traveln (0:57) 39 Walk-In Bath (1:42) 40 Wet Pain (0:54)

clips

Someone's being very good to us this week, and instead of merely one Mordant record, we get two and they're

both incredible? Hmm... it's a week of double releases methinks, and not only is this very good indeed, but it's pretty

far removed from the doom and gloom of its sister album 'The Tower'. Apparently made up of offcuts from a

Boosey & Hawkes library music album which the duo of Baron Mordant and Admiral Greyscale were commissioned

to produce, 'Carrion Square' is the perfect record for followers of the BBC Radiophonic workshop desperate for a fix.

Forty tracks of synthesizer damage guide you through the weird, wild world of Mordant Music, and with the

production at a ridiculous level throughout you would be forgiven for thinking this could be a long forgotten relic

to be placed alongside the recently rediscovered work of Daphne Oram or Delia Derbyshire. You can almost feel

the analogue circuitry pulsing and fizzing away as you let yourself absorb the music, and far from the skittish

collection of overly short tracks the record could be, instead it feels totally coherent and totally perfectly realised.

That's maybe why I doubt that tracks' status as offcuts, as rarely do compilations of offcut tracks sound so well

put together, I suppose it could have been planned all along - but then I've always loved a good conspiracy theory.

It's pointless for me to go into detail about specific tracks even, there is far too much to dig into on here and really

you need to hear it from beginning to end. Let's hope that some day these guys will be picked up to do the

soundtrack to some sci-fi TV show or another... err... maybe Doctor Who? Well I'd be happy that's for sure...

Do yourself a favour and buy both Mordant Music albums this week, you won't be disappointed.

Huge recommendation! ----boomkat

,,---

yes, indeed

post-86-1186571402_thumb.jpg

Guest tidbit

eric zann maybe, ... and belbury poly.. and why not focus group also, but...

triphop you say! you must be ear blind or something

eric zann maybe, ... and belbury poly.. and why not focus group also, but...

triphop you say! you must be ear blind or something

I haven't heard too much, but I will say that the latest Belbury Poly album (The Owl's Map) is just awesome!

Anyone know if Ghost Box has any US distribution?

I haven't heard too much, but I will say that the latest Belbury Poly album (The Owl's Map) is just awesome!

yep, it's unbelievable. eric zann's 'ouroborindra' is another good one.

the focus group are probably closest to library music sounds, i guess

Archived