IGNORED

A Clear Head

GORDO

As noise tracks go, it's rather dull, there's not clear progression of timbre/structure/texture, but then I'm not really that big on noise so I suppose I'm not the best to look for as an opinion on that. The whole thing feels muted, as though it were run through a lifeless LPF before heading out to the final cut. I bet there are some live events with folding tables and kids in a Gymnasium that this would really play well to.

well It's just a randomly generated thing that i thought sounds interesting at times... had to render it many times until one ended up sounding interesting-ish. maybe i'll reverse engineer the cool sounding bits but i don't think so. thank you for listening.

Does Thor or the Combinator have an quatizer modules? In the Nord it's very handy to have a key/note quantizer hooked to a sample & hold with random input, that way you can get randomized output to oscillator pitch but limit it at least within a range of notes or key. Coupled with some cratvie LFO mixing to amplifier/gate you can make some random patterns that have some musical grounding.

Well like a module that will take a level reading (like say, an input from an LFO or noise module or sample & hold), and quanitze it to a note, or "any within this range of notes".

So for example, to make this simple, let's say you have an LFO that goes through values 1 through 8. You run that to a note quantizer and tell it "I want you to quantize these results to notes C#, F, G, and A". So now, when the LFO reads 1 or 2, the quantizer will output "C#" to an oscillator. When the LFO is 3 or 4, it will output "F", and so on. Now if you take that concept and expand it to the full range of notes and full range of values that will come from an LFO or noise oscillator, and you see that you can have lots of different note iterations that are "random" as in they came from a noise module, but are then limited to a certain set of notes so that they results sound more musical.

You can then couple this with LFO's controling values for gate envelopes and amplifiers of the signal (shaping its volume). Depending on how all this is arranged, you can end up with a very complex and radom, yet still musical sounding generated sequence.

umm then i guess no, but with the arpeggiator you can do what you are describing, I think. You input any number of notes and the thing can output them at random.

I think experimenting more along the lines of that is more fruitful with generative composition. Otherwise it can end up sort of lifeless. Also, more closed systems like these seem to have a pretty low upward limit when it comes to interesting variation on generative themes. Without any sort of complex type programming available, the rulesets you can create tend to end up very limited. The nord has somewhat more that it can do, with more bare voltage control type interfacing and logic modules/comparators available, but even still, without complex logic like you can get out of pd/max/csound/etc it seems to be a pretty frustrating endeavor.

Sorry just rambling on about generative sequences because I spent a year or so playing around with it on the Nord Modular.

Archived