THE STONE

AVENUE C at 2nd STREET

NEW YORK CITY, N.Y.

TEN DOLLARS

ALL AGES

2/23 Saturday (RK)

8 and 10 pm

MATMOS

Dr. Drew Daniel (laptop, objects) Martin Schmidt (synth, objects)

Matmos are a duo that recently relocated from San Francisco to Baltimore. Their work is all over the place: musique concrete, pop music, rhythmic patterns, free improv, video, sound, actions. For this concert they will present their "cover" of "The Backyard", the final act of the Robert Ashley tele-opera "Perfect Lives" and some newer pieces that focus on pure electronic music. Expect some improvisation and some guest shenanigans.

I had been planning no going to this but now it looks like I might not be able to. Anyone seen Matmos live? Recently? Is it really good? Also, anyone been to The Stone? I hear it's a strange place. Like, you can't go to the bathroom during the performance, because it's behind the stage. Also, no food or drink allowed inside.

I went. The Stone is the size of a shoebox and they packed that thing like a sardine tin. I never even saw the guys because except for a few people everyone had to stand. Everyone in the back just stood around looking at the back of people's heads or staring at their shoes because there was nothing to see unless you were up front. The "stage" wasn't raised or even facing the right way. Less than half the people there could actually see them.

i was standing in the back, but since i am 6'6", i could see them quite well :)

sadly i got there about 20 minutes late for the 8 o'clock show. considered going again at 10, but didn't want to drop $10 on the chance that they played exactly the same set...

awesome tunes, and great video accompaniment as well (minus the guy wanking in the hot tub lol)

i was standing in the back, but since i am 6'6", i could see them quite well :)

sadly i got there about 20 minutes late for the 8 o'clock show. considered going again at 10, but didn't want to drop $10 on the chance that they played exactly the same set...

awesome tunes, and great video accompaniment as well (minus the guy wanking in the hot tub lol)

I was standing in the back of the 8:00 show too and I didn't even know they had video accompaniment.

Archived