IGNORED

I need a new sound card

Siegecow

So its looking like i need a new sound card. Any reccomendations from you expert knob twiddlers?

I need something that will be good for producing music with multiple line outs/ line-ins for DJing/recording.

The cheaper the better, i'm not swimming in legal tender right now.

I ended up with a TC Electronic Konnekt 24D. It worked flawlessly for me and has great drivers. I must warn you tho that before I bought mine, I was allowed to test it out for a week and it worked fine, but prior to that I went on their website and found a bunch of people saying their systems were incompatible.

Anyways I've been able to open up Ableton Live with it, Access Virus TI Control streaming real time to SPDIF, a divx movie, winamp, and a game all at once without any performance hitches. I didn't really try anything else.

I think the important things to consider is that as long as a sound card has ASIO and WDM support, you hopefully want to find something with good drivers and good A/D converters.

I have a friend with a mac who owns a Apogee Duet, and I imagine if I ever get a mac laptop I'll probably go down that route as it sounds really nice and has good driver support.

I have another friend who has an M-Audio card that worked fine on his PC but on his Mac he has to reboot every time he exits out of Logic before he can use it again.

I also had a years experience with the Edirol FA-66, which was nice but the headphone and outputs 1/2 shared the same output level, so if you plan on using headphones you have to use outputs 3/4.

</ramble>

Guest dild0
I ended up with a TC Electronic Konnekt 24D. It worked flawlessly for me and has great drivers. I must warn you tho that before I bought mine, I was allowed to test it out for a week and it worked fine, but prior to that I went on their website and found a bunch of people saying their systems were incompatible.

what he said

plus

E-MU cards

ECHO cards

These e-mu cards seem more in my price range. What am i sacrificing by going with one of these over the konnekt which is 2 to 5 times more expensive?

Also, am i going to have to sacrifice my 5.1 setup to use one of these cards? Looks like they're mostly for 2.1 speakers

Guest dild0

well you're going to sacrifice only..the design. E-MUs,especially the PCI and PCMCIA ones,have nothing to envy to TC Konnekt cards in therms of hardware.

both the brands are 5.1 ready y0!

not a big fan of e-mu.

the echo recommendation, i'll happily back up. echo cards are fucking awesome.

how many i/o's do you want?.. you can get a 'b' stock delta 1010 for about 300 quid. 10 ins, 10 outs, wordclock, midi, etc etc.

great cards. and m-audio aftersales and tech support is superb.

300 quid is quite out of my range. I'm lookin for somethin less than 300 us clams, which is why those e-mu and ECHO cards spark my interest the most. PRetty much i have some 5.1 speakers right now, i'd also like to be able to use a queue function for live performance, so i guess i only really need 1 extra line out. So i think 2 i/o's would do me just fine.

Archived