IGNORED

drifting and tilting - the songs of scott walker

kaini

Drifting and Tilting - The Songs of Scott Walker

13 - 15 November 2008 / 19:45

Barbican Theatre

World premiere live performances of songs from Scott Walker's seminal works including Tilt and Drift.

These special concerts, produced by Walker himself, will be set and designed for the Barbican

Theatre stage, and include orchestra, Scott's band, and feature special guest vocalists performing

his songs.

Please note: Scott Walker will NOT be performing.

Directed by Ann-Christin Rommen

Concepts by Scott Walker

Sound Production by Scott Walker and Peter Walsh

Guest awkward

when was the last time scott played live?

special guest vocalists is interesting but who could do walker proud? hes chosen these people so he must believe they do justice.

World premiere live performances of songs from Scott Walker's seminal works including Tilt and Drift.

so not just tilt and drift. maybe some nite flights...

yep i'd go but as you say i'm on the wrong side of the pond

maybe not the last time, but one of them. 1995

fucking... scary. reminds me of jandek a bit

lol at him rocking out at 2.30

clip is fucking heavy for one man and one guitar

i'm going to lay a bet on jarvis is a guest vocalist. maybe ute lemper? she's a barbican sort of girl. i'd fuckin love a bit of diamanda galas doing bouncer see... bouncer, or something. and i'd love to hear them do the electrician or nite flites.

Guest awkward

this might sound silly but i'd like to hear him attempt a tim buckley cover album. probably way too pop for him now but maybe 20 years ago.

in the last wire interview he was talking about his next album being something that a traditional rock quartet could play live... then again, it's scott.

dream scott quartet?

hmm

scott walker - guitar/vox

kevin shields - guitar/treatments

brian eno - synths/loops/objects

chris corsano - drums and objects

Guest awkward
i'm going to lay a bet on jarvis is a guest vocalist. maybe ute lemper? she's a barbican sort of girl. i'd fuckin love a bit of diamanda galas doing bouncer see... bouncer, or something. and i'd love to hear them do the electrician or nite flites.

i was thinking jarvis but i don't think hes good enough really. i still haven't heard that song he wrote for ute and said was his best work.

he cant play that guitar on jools. thats what scary.

they still haven't released 30th century man on dvd neither! i looked on bit torrent before but no dice.

i don't think the point of rosary is an yngwie-like level of skill

he did two songs with ute - still haven't heard one of them myself

i'd rip the other but i'd have to go looking for the album and shit

Guest awkward

nice find man. never heard of torrentportal but i'll trust you on this one. plus i really wanna see it.

i literally typed "30 century man torrent" into google

it is great though. contains a good chunk of stuff from the bbc docu about the making of the drift. meatpunching ftw. you seen the jandek movie? it's a bit VH1 behind the music, but nevertheless good

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3877642/Jandek_on_Corwood_-_2003

Guest awkward

i've seen torrents before but never with anyone seeding

haven't seen jandek vh1. will grab thanks. i like anything a bit weird even if i don't like the music i like the idea

• 1 month later...
Guest awkward

watched the documentary last night. when it started i knew i'd seen it before but knew i hadnt seen it before. the fucking bbc swiped the best bits for that imagine show, so nto much of it was new to me. still enjoyable and i think i appreciate some of his later work a little bit more now. rosary has been in my head all day. downloading climate of hunter for a listen too. oh the 80s drumming

• 3 months later...
Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

oh this soon.

interview in the guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/nov/0...alker-interview

In his place will be a succession of guest vocalists including Jarvis Cocker, Damon Albarn, Dot Allison, Gavin Friday and classical baritone Grant Doyle. A 40-piece orchestra will also be in attendance alongside Walker's studio group and a contemporary dance troupe. 'It will be a tightrope walk,' he says. 'There is never enough time to prepare these things, but if it's going to be a train wreck, it will certainly be an interesting one. There will be one or two surprises, too.'

i'd like to see that too.

yeah damon albarn what the fuck? actually i like damon but not with the same part of my brain that i like walker

that IS a great graph! very interesting.

there was a cover version on climate of hunter?

i think the awesomeness of nite flights s too low unless you're counting the whole record and not just his songs.

i wonder if you could add reclusiveness to the graph. or maybe vsibility, like how much he played live, did interviews or hid in his house. or maybe even add a baseball cap line. % of time worn around this album.

yeah that IS a good graph

jesus wtf i was wasted the night i made that :beer:

and yeah blanketroll blues on climate of hunter, that is roughly a leadbelly song. roughly.

actually i like damon but not with the same part of my brain that i like walker

hahahaha this made me rofflemow for some reason

if i was to only count the scott songs on NF, (and when i ripped the CD, they're all i ripped, fuck the rest) then it would be my favourite scott thing.

Archived