IGNORED

Technological Singularity

Guest blutac

I don't think the advance will come not from technological means but from bio-mechanical developents. Genetic design, bigger brains and a better understanding of how we work and how we can work better. Thats the future, once we step outside the laws of evolution we've cracked it. Man will decide his own existence, the possibilities are endless.

It seems far more comprehendable than machines thinking. The brain is the most powerful and complex device we know. Lets work with that.

It'll probably be a medium between the two, CYBORGIAN REVOLUTION.

46353GMOL_w.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, sorry guys, I don't mean to burst your big overblown poindexter internet futurist bubbles here, but there is an easier answer to life and living, and you can find out all about it in the King James Version of the New Testament of the Holy Bible. Did Ray Kurzwiel give his only begotten son so that whomever believed in him would not perish but would have everlasting life in the kingdom of Heaven? No. I don't think so.

SOLID STATE ENTITY...OOOoooooOooOOO

According to Lilly, the network of computation-capable solid state systems (electronics) engineered by humans will eventually develop (or has already developed) into an autonomous life-form. Since the optimal survival conditions for this life-form (low-temperature vacuum) are drastically different from those needed by humans (room temperature aerial atmosphere and adequate water supply), Lilly predicted (or "prophesied", based on his ketamine-induced visions) a dramatic conflict between the two forms of intelligence.

Lilly's an example of finding out something cool then being dissapointed. Got really into the whole isolation tank thing, then found out he was basically a massive ket head who spent most of his career trying to bridge the language gap of humans and dolphins...

His contained mind research was pretty awesome before the "beings" told him to take LSD, I wouldn't dismiss his work pre-drugs.

I don't think the advance will come not from technological means but from bio-mechanical developents. Genetic design, bigger brains and a better understanding of how we work and how we can work better. Thats the future, once we step outside the laws of evolution we've cracked it. Man will decide his own existence, the possibilities are endless.

It seems far more comprehendable than machines thinking. The brain is the most powerful and complex device we know. Lets work with that.

that's another option if we can't crack AI (we will). Enhancing our own intelligence could just as easily create a singularity in it's own right. We'd just be enhancing our intelligence in order to enhance our intelligence further, and on, and on. The plus side of that is, is that we could control it much better and wouldn't have to worry about getting swatted like bugs by these AI's we've created.

The joke is on big business, they're rushing toward a future where money will be irrelevant.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

The joke is on big business, they're rushing toward a future where money will be irrelevant.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Not rushing quickly enough to give us a capable electric car.

/conspiracy

Anyway, we can only wait until we've reaped the SLHC. I'm sure we'll be engineering on a whole other scale soon enough. We'll have a virtually unlimited level of information-capacity, comparable to our understanding of the human brain, and whacked-out methods of power generation. Fuck. I just hope I live long enough and can afford to join a burgeoning new society in space (massively unlikely (essentially impossible)).

I'm about half way through "The Singularity", pretty interesting stuff. I was going to post the JPG of Moore's Law applied to shaving... but I couldn't find it.

I'm about half way through "The Singularity", pretty interesting stuff. I was going to post the JPG of Moore's Law applied to shaving... but I couldn't find it.

oh you :kiss:

*fingers*

so..... terrence mckenna

he was into his patterns and shite

Guest spraaaa

yeah, I kinda agree with that...

I like this criticism on wikipedia

A recent study of patents per thousand persons shows that human creativity does not show accelerating returns, but in fact – as suggested by Joseph Tainter in his seminal The Collapse of Complex Societies[5] – a law of diminishing returns.[citation needed] The number of patents per thousand peaked in the period from 1850–1900, and has been declining since.[citation needed] The growth of complexity eventually becomes self-limiting, and leads to a wide spread "general systems collapse".

this is already true in the way that humans are already very specialized and not capable of everything. some people can make nuclear bombs, others can make food, the internet connects them all but doesn't make anything more amazing than youtube. we need a hive-mind or an ai or some way to process all the things that are happening at once. without that humans are just getting better tools but not changing the ways we use them. so maybe it's more connections than intelligence.... the collapse comes from complexity in which intentions and processes and resources don't connect to each other in a useful way.

*stops rambling to read about slhc*

Guest hahathhat
yeah, I kinda agree with that...

I like this criticism on wikipedia

A recent study of patents per thousand persons shows that human creativity does not show accelerating returns, but in fact – as suggested by Joseph Tainter in his seminal The Collapse of Complex Societies[5] – a law of diminishing returns.[citation needed] The number of patents per thousand peaked in the period from 1850–1900, and has been declining since.[citation needed] The growth of complexity eventually becomes self-limiting, and leads to a wide spread "general systems collapse".

what BS,

patents went down because you need to spend a few $k on lawyers to get a patent. also, did you ever consider that the domain PATENT might not be infinite?? not everything can be patented; just because the patent slots are running out doesn't mean shit for anything else

LOGIC WHERE ARE YOU

I just watched Benjamin Button and I've decided going backwards is the thing to do. If you need me I'll be heading towards 1980. Adios.

could the extra intelligence i gain via caffeine use be considered artificial intelligence??

whatever you gained through caffeine use was already there

could the extra intelligence i gain via caffeine use be considered artificial intelligence??

whatever you gained through caffeine use was already there

OK, what about horoscopes?

Archived