IGNORED

Technological Singularity

Guest blutac

Guest hahathhat
could the extra intelligence i gain via caffeine use be considered artificial intelligence??

whatever you gained through caffeine use was already there

:omg:

(but what if i unlocked that intelligence naturally... AND THEN USED CAFFEINE??)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

patents went down because it was harder to come up with patents that didn't have prior art or weren't obvious re-implementations of prior technology.

Software patents should be done away with altogether, as it's led to some serious abuse of the patent office (at least in the US).

could the extra intelligence i gain via caffeine use be considered artificial intelligence??

(but what if i unlocked that intelligence naturally... AND THEN USED CAFFEINE??)

impossible

Guest hahathhat

impossible

prove it

i dont know.

im an aries tho

i'm a leo, rawr

Guest spraaaa

fuck the patents, the interesting part is whether or not complexity is self limiting in the system of modern society.

caffiene is part of the self limiting process, since some people go to coffee shops more than they take a shit.

I'm incoherent but it doesn't matter because I'm a leo & year of the tiger. here's another cat: :cat:

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

Project Gemini (1965-1966)

Several of the food issues from the Mercury missions were addressed for the later Gemini missions. Tubes (often heavier than the foods they contained) were abandoned. Gelatin coatings helped to prevent bite-sized cubes from crumbling. Simpler rehydration methods were developed. The menus also expanded to include items such as shrimp cocktail, chicken and vegetables, toast squares, butterscotch pudding, and apple juice.

The crew of Gemini III sneaked a corned beef sandwich on their spaceflight. Mission Commander Gus Grissom loved corned beef sandwiches, so Pilot John Young brought one along, having been encouraged by fellow astronaut Walter Schirra.. However, Young was supposed to only eat approved food, and Grissom wasn't supposed to eat anything. Floating pieces of bread posed a potential problem, causing Grissom to put the sandwich away (although he did enjoy it)[2] and the astronauts were mildly rebuked by NASA for the act. A congressional hearing was called, forcing the NASA deputy administrator George Mueller to promise no repeats. In future missions NASA made special care on what astronauts brought along on future missions.

Guest hahathhat
the interesting part is whether or not complexity is self limiting in the system of modern society.

i think that has something to do with the situation where the thing interacts with the stuff and limits some facet thereof.

Guest Funktion

This documentary is good and covers quite a lot of these topics.

Also, with Kurzweil, the guy takes shitloads of meds in a desperate attempt to be alive when it hits, I kinda feel sorry for him, and take his ideas with a pinch of salt.

Also, with Kurzweil, the guy takes shitloads of meds in a desperate attempt to be alive when it hits, I kinda feel sorry for him, and take his ideas with a pinch of salt.

Check his book though, he cites alot of reference, so if you're interested in anything from nanotechnology, to new computing techniques to advances in AI, it can lead you to some pretty interesting research and documentation.

I'm constantly fapping over the prospect a post scarcity society.

Yeah its gonna be good. Especially seeing as everything we base our society on today is based on unlimited demand for scarce products.. I suppose the question is can human need every really be satisfied.

Guest Wall Bird
I'm constantly fapping over the prospect a post scarcity society.

Yeah its gonna be good. Especially seeing as everything we base our society on today is based on unlimited demand for scarce products.. I suppose the question is can human need every really be satisfied.

Which scarce products would those be?

Which scarce products would those be?

well if you have bananas and chickens growing behind every corner for you to take it, then it'd be kind of stupid to seil it around for cash, right? scarcity puts the price on the product.

Guest Wall Bird

I'm not sure what country you're living in right now, but since you have a computer I'm willing to bet bananas and chickens aren't scarce. I think Blutac was mistaken in saying that there is scarcity of these things (assuming that's what he's saying) and I don't understand why there is the perception that there is.

I'm not sure what country you're living in right now, but since you have a computer I'm willing to bet bananas and chickens aren't scarce. I think Blutac was mistaken in saying that there is scarcity of these things (assuming that's what he's saying) and I don't understand why there is the perception that there is.

Scarcity applies to everything, it's the result of unlimited demand and limited supply. I suppose you could use it in the sense of only necessary goods (food, housing etc.), but really it encompasses everything money can buy.

Wouldn't have used chickens and bananas as an example, but as it is, there is scarcity of chickens and bananas, or they would be free. Things only cost money because of scarcity. If there were chickens and bananas everywhere then there wouldn't be a market for them. In the sense I'm talking about, in a post scarcity world, you could get an unlimited amount of whatever good you want, without sacrificing on getting something else.

Its just debatable as to whether humans can ever be totally satisfied.

Scarcity applies to everything, it's the result of unlimited demand and limited supply. I suppose you could use it in the sense of only necessary goods (food, housing etc.), but really it encompasses everything money can buy.

Wouldn't have used chickens and bananas as an example, but as it is, there is scarcity of chickens and bananas, or they would be free. Things only cost money because of scarcity. If there were chickens and bananas everywhere then there wouldn't be a market for them. In the sense I'm talking about, in a post scarcity world, you could get an unlimited amount of whatever good you want, without sacrificing on getting something else.

Its just debatable as to whether humans can ever be totally satisfied.

No we won't ever be totally satisfied no matter what happens, but it's fun to strive for better circumstances.

I think the most likely scenario (i'm no expert obviously) is that we'll see a continuation of goods moving down the food-chain so to speak.

The radio was probably the most advanced piece of technology in your house 60 odd years ago. Now the average radio isn't really worth anything. You probably wouldn't bother putting one on ebay. So you'll probably see that trend continue but accelerating all the time with shorter time periods.

Another thing that could play a part is the possibility of a star trek style replicator, which you'd use to create all the basic necessities and more for free. I'm not making all this up. Do some googling.

This is the 1st thing that's come up on google, a review of the singularity summit in oct 08 mentions it

"The most mind blowing presentation was by Neil Gershenfeld. I already thought the Fab Lab was pretty cool. But the long term stuff he’s working on is breathtaking. There’s a duality between computing and physics. For example, we use physics to build computers that we then use to model physics. The duality is much more fundamental than that (e.g., the equivalence of thermodynamic entropy and Shannon entropy). They have discovered/created a programming paradigm called asynchronous logic automata (ALA: so new there’s not a good reference on the Web; see also Conformal Computing: no good references on that either) that he says is based on fundamental phsycial properties. They can use ALA to PROGRAM MATTER. Such matter is made of identical cells that assemble themselves like proteins, based on the ALA instructions. He had some animations and it’s unclear from my notes whether these were merely simulations or visualizations of something they’d actually built. My memory is that they were actual, but at a large scale. Neil said they should be able to get exponential scaling and they don’t really rely on quantum effects. The bottom line was: 20 years to the Star Trek replicator. This is the number one thing on my list to keep track of now."

please nobody post that terribly cheesy Lawnmower man esque youtube hoax where the guy claims to be some AI singularity achievement, some people on this forum actually believed it was real and because of that i had to take a break from the forum for several weeks.

Another thing that could play a part is the possibility of a star trek style replicator, which you'd use to create all the basic necessities and more for free. I'm not making all this up. Do some googling.

i'm quite sure this kind of technology will be handed over with some sort of rent use. like your cell phone. or they will have certain limitations, i.e. for kids' use. meaning you could replicate your chicken noodles by paying credits, like on a vending machine. someone will be there to make money of it.

The weird thing is that it doesn't seem to be that huge of a thing right now, doesn't seem like too many people are interested in it. I searched WATMM expecting to join a thread about this and there's barely any mention at all. I don't understand why this isn't front page news blowing minds the world across...

the reason why i haven't mentioned it .. is because this idea seems obvious .. well it should to anyone who's even casually followed the acceleration in technological development over these past couple of decades .. or read any science fiction ...

i'm not sure that i like the idea of kurzweil being the figurehead for this idea ... not just because his predictions/timelines have been a little off when reviewed in retrospect .. but because i feel the man has latched onto the obvious and then is using it as an incredible self promotion vehicle ... then again perhaps it's good to have someone so charismatic if not self effacing .. pushing the idea forward so that those in power can start thinking about the ethical/economic/environmental dynamics of this inevitable future front that's blowing in .. as unfortunately that is the personality type that those in power are most influenced by ..

problem is though as you have lamented .. that no one in the general population (if not general banter) seems to give a shit .. but isn't this the same with most issues of import .. they have neither the imagination .. nor the inclination to take issues of this breadth and depth on board ... that's why they don't like politics or technology or philosophy or anything that hasn't already been carefully interlaced into the general consensus .. by those with the influence or dogged persistence to do so .. (like the environment has finally .. after how many years of work and at least a fair amount of evidence now forebodingly available) ...

anyway ... not to carry on with more of the obvious moaning about the obvious .. just use the interceding time to get rich ... and await the coming fun ..

i'm quite sure this kind of technology will be handed over with some sort of rent use. like your cell phone. or they will have certain limitations, i.e. for kids' use. meaning you could replicate your chicken noodles by paying credits, like on a vending machine. someone will be there to make money of it.

Yeah, i agree, but you never know. Look what happened with the internet, look what an annoying little shit the internet has been from that point of view.

i'm not sure that i like the idea of kurzweil being the figurehead for this idea ... not just because his predictions/timelines have been a little off when reviewed in retrospect

Not all though, not by a long shot

no .. it will be open source ... well the content will be .. because all the replicator will need to work ..is - itself .. -raw materials .. and - some downloadable data ..

the implications are really scary as so much of our current national economy relies on giving people access to it (the economy) via having them working reselling stuff manufactured outside of our economy .. what happens when these reselling trades die off ... and the building and service sector begin widely adopting robotics .. there will be this slow creep upwards through the trades by degree of difficulty/responsibility ... wiping out jobs as it proceeds ...

we will have completely rethink how wealth is distributed ..

etcetera blar blar blar .. obvious .. + iev gota goe for sum eks nao .. ;-]

soe yair get ritc .. bie land in the kuntree .. yeP ..

Archived