IGNORED

What's up with Live 6 and sidechaining?

Guest Panoptimist

Guest Panoptimist

Even using VST's with sidechain compatibility there's no way to select the sidechain source signal from the dropdown menu.....

Guest hahathhat

no, there are two ways to do it in cubase sx:

1) some crazy shit with busting it out to a quadra channel and using panning

2) plugins that sidechain for you

my favorite compressor has a 2-slot sidechain. that's all i ever really use, and i don't even do that much.

but, i don't think i have the latest version. they might have come to their senses and fixed it by now.

Guest Panoptimist

Yeah, using sonalksis. Get this bullshit (you might be able to explain why): Sidechaining doesn't work with mk2 in live UNLESS you use the AU version instead of the VST...what gives there?

Yeah, using sonalksis. Get this bullshit (you might be able to explain why): Sidechaining doesn't work with mk2 in live UNLESS you use the AU version instead of the VST...what gives there?

Guest hahathhat

perhaps there are technical limitations in the VST specifications that hinder sidechaining. that'd explain a few things.

i downloaded the VST C++ SDK ages ago and wrote some fuckoff delay plugin. my memory is very vague at this point, but IIRC, there was a main duty function that was responsible for processing the audio on a sample-by-sample basis. you get passed a pointer to a chunk of memory containing a sample or two, you do whatever to it, then return pointer to modified samples. separate, similar functions handled automation and interface. your main duty function would ask the interface, hey where my knobs at?? the audio processing itself was all in that one function. sidechaining would have to be passed to that somehow, as there wasn't really any way to just kind of asynchronously do audio shit outside of it, no way to interface with busses, talk to other plugins... you'd have to code it into the plugin special, like my compresser pluggo.

when's the next VST spec due out??

Built-in sidechaining? Live 6?

does your compressor/auto filter when expanded look like this?

compva4.jpg

if not you're probably gonna want to upgrade

also, sidechaining, like most all audio effects, is extremely versatile if you've got the creativity.

Guest hahathhat
Or realize that sidechaining is mostly useless

it's wayyy overused

Or realize that sidechaining is mostly useless

why?

volume fader automation ftw.

garnish with (cross)fades and gain adjustments.

serves two ears and one ass.

Haha, I remember posting that yeah. Its not actually useless, its just way to tedious for me and I can't think of anything I would want to use it for. I just think it is weird how everybody wants to use it for making a pumping house sound yet that sound is so easily achievable with a regular compressor.

It is kind of cool though, just for triggering dynamic changes in one track with, for example a hi-hat or something. Useful for rythmic effects. But its not really in my style of music in general though.

Guest hahathhat
Haha, I remember posting that yeah. Its not actually useless, its just way to tedious for me and I can't think of anything I would want to use it for. I just think it is weird how everybody wants to use it for making a pumping house sound yet that sound is so easily achievable with a regular compressor.

It is kind of cool though, just for triggering dynamic changes in one track with, for example a hi-hat or something. Useful for rythmic effects. But its not really in my style of music in general though.

i do a lot of volume automation, mix down to 4 or so busses, compress the lot carefully... if i sidechain, it is because i'm bored, i'm fucking around with plugins and seeing what noise i can get out of it.

it's like a flanger or a phaser -- puts a certain spin on a sound. similarly, like a flanger and phaser, the real fun is saying, "what happens if i plug this into that?"

just another toy in the bin.

Archived