IGNORED

attn: OVERACHIEVER TYPES

Guest my usernames always really suck

Fuck you, you make life difficult for the rest of us.

Extracurricular activities and awards given in college have zero relevance to once's qualifications when applying for a job, but because of people like you, they're nonetheless "required". You don't even do this for yourselves, you do it because your parents abused you when you were a kid and told you you'd be a piece of shit if you didn't win the soccer mvp trophies, little league mvp trophies, chess championships, etc when you were 9.

Why does someone who is, skillwise, better than you at a particular job position's requirements have to compete with you on these irrelevant non-qualifications in our resumes? And why do companies insist on this failed model?

I'm more capable than most of these nerds at software development and in-depth knowledge of computer science

But somehow, the fact I wasn't honorary Captain of the University's Geomineral Society is a strike against my qualifications that actually are relevant

faggot

I'm more capable than most of these nerds at software development and in-depth knowledge of computer science

But somehow, the fact I wasn't honorary Captain of the University's Geomineral Society is a strike against my qualifications that actually are relevant

faggot

hey look a company wants to see that you actually have the motivation to do something outside of what you are forced to

be realistic, you probably aren't more capable than any of "those nerds" and now you are bitching about it on the internet.

you were probably president of japan club or anime society or something like that at college, put that down

I was in an anime club for my first year, long enough to go by the "don't knock it til you tried it" adage where I can now hate anime as much as I want because I, indeed, tried it.

irrelevant non-qualifications in our resumes

so what exactly are you talking about here

and what kind of job are you failing to get

Extra-curricular activities, as I mentioned. Club memberships, things accomplished in those, etc. But they're not relevant to the job position at hand. All "hurr how to write a good resume" guides tell you to include all shit like that because it supposedly helps immensely even when you're competing against other people aiming for that job who may have better qualifications. Is it a myth? I should hope so.

Actually, resumes, personal interviews, references and all that other shit has next to 0 predictability for future job performance. When I was in a graduate program for Industrial/Organizational psychology, the point of that science is that intelligence is the single best predictor of job performance no matter what. Hiring on IQ tests is illegal so guess what those crafty psychologists do? Embed an IQ scale into tests that seem to have nothing to do with the job or anything. Ever applied online to a job and have to answer 40 questions like "I work best with others" or "I have many regrets"? You're brain is being sized up for a cutoff.

Just lie really well but keep meticulous track of your lies. Recruit friends to accept calls attesting to your brilliant leadership as 2005 President of the Auterotic Asphyxiation Society. Land job and then make fun of suckers, I mean, overachievers.

The leadership bullshit is likely why.

The notion that "if you're not an overachiever, then you must be an underachiever" is something Human Resources types of people tend to believe in, and it's horseshit, like something you'd pick up out of a grocery store magazine's pop-psychology articles. It's because HR people don't know a god damn thing about the job position's academic details (their education wasn't computer science, else they wouldn't be HR people, they'd be software engineers).

Fuck you, you make life difficult for the rest of us.

Extracurricular activities and awards given in college have zero relevance to once's qualifications when applying for a job, but because of people like you, they're nonetheless "required". You don't even do this for yourselves, you do it because your parents abused you when you were a kid and told you you'd be a piece of shit if you didn't win the soccer mvp trophies, little league mvp trophies, chess championships, etc when you were 9.

Why does someone who is, skillwise, better than you at a particular job position's requirements have to compete with you on these irrelevant non-qualifications in our resumes? And why do companies insist on this failed model?

Interesting article about how 'extracurricular activities' were basically created to keep "undesirables" away from the Ivy Leagues.

Getting In

Archived