IGNORED

resurgence of idm

YEK

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The reason electronic music was better in the 1990s is because we as a society were experiencing a rush of technological innovations like we've never experienced before in history, and the genuine emotion behind much of the best electronic music released 1990-1996 reflected an widely-held unrestrained optimism for what "might lie in store" for the future. The Internet was slowly gaining ground into our daily lives, 3D graphics caught the public imagination, and no week went by without Hubble returning something fantastic. For a long time the silver, silicon city on the glass-domed hill seemed like it was just beyond the horizon, ever slightly out of our reach but always coming closer.

Then the dot-com bust happened, the Internet turned out to be "just kinda okay" and nothing special, we never saw any of the cool predictions happen, and that pivotal year of 2001 was marked by a terrorist act that jaded an entire generation instead of being the year of hyperfuturism that people had hoped it would be for the last 50 years... and then the general state of electronic music followed and reflected those moods again, as well as the people who produced it, lapsing into apathy, disillusionment and half-assedness.

Am I the only one who sees the connection here?

i dont think it has anything to do with society as a whole... it more has to do with teh individual cases of the most talented artists of the genre (aphex, squarepusher, autechre) and the state of pop music and the media.

in 1995-96 you've got aphex twin dropping off i care because you do and then the richard james EP/girlboyEP and it was like omfg because short of the hangable autobulbs those rdj/GB eps sounded like nothing else and it was fresh and new and exciting and then with come to daddy in 1997, well while the EP as a whole wasn't as overall great as those other two EPs, you had come to daddy come out right after the prodigy's firestarter was big and the video was on mtv and commercials had that firestarter riff in it and it was like aphex twin kicked the prodigy's fucking ass and then he teamed up with chris cunningham to make a fabulous music video that won a week straight on that mtv show where these 12 angry viewers voted for their favorite video out of a bunch of them, and it seemed like aphex twin was poised to make a full-on assault on pop music and become some sort of a KLF-type phenomenon and then who knows what he'd do, maybe he'd make memorable legendary mockeries with much much better music than the klf could ever muster, maybe he'd just bring legitimate greatness to pop music... nobody knew, it's like, idm was on teh virge of blowing up.

meanwhile squarepusher ripped off arguably the best electronic music LP of all-time in hard normal daddy, then by late 97 early 98 he dropped big loada with come on my selector and cunningham made another video and squarepusher's come on my selector was being used as the music to advertise either the 97 or 98 mtv video music awards and it was like all of a sudden here are aphex twin and squarepusher coming into the pop music sphere and it was like, whilst there's an elitist fundamentally inherent in the soul of any idmer, still it's exciting to wonder what might be if these brilliant blokes get money and fame and the world's biggest musical stages to go forth and do their things.

it felt like we trainspotted the future of music, like someday aphex twin and squarepusher would be known by many to be some of the most brilliant and important musicians of our time...

then 1998 came. windowlicker did its thing but the EP was short and pointless after the title song/video, and like, from there aphex went into hiding until 2001, squarepusher all of a sudden said "you know what i'm tired of pitchfork-type music critics lambasting me as a one-trick drill-n-bass pony so i'm gonna be a one man post-miles-davis jazzband" and all of a sudden he went from amazing to amazingly boring shite shite shite what happened to you and autechre, who id idnt mention b4 but they were in the midst of their 95-97 golden age with chiastic slide cichlisuite peel session 1 envane and like they mastered deconstructing dance music and hiphop and putting their spin on it, well they got lost in their own heads and started deconstructing themselves and the music quite frankily sounded like electronic bowel movements.

all of a sudden all of that momentum just disappeared and everyone disappeared or went properly mental, taking years to recover (sqp and ae about the same time, in 2001, as autechre let loose peel sessions 2 before going back to electronic bowel movements, and squarepusher bitterly acknowledging he has to make drill and bass to appease his hardcore fanbase so he made the really pissy "go plastic" his bitter response to having spastic fans who loved his old brilliant works as opposed to his new artsy fartsy critic-spooge-inducing onemanjazzbandschtuick) and aphex came back by drukqs, but by that time it was clear that the big fantasy blowup was never going to happen.

1) aphex wants no part of being a megastar. he's very comfortable where he is in life and would rather be an underground music god than some sort of low-mid level pop star.

2) squarepusher is too mental to handle being a megastar as well. he has ups and downs and waves of excellence, and we rode out another one with the one man rock band thing with just a souvenir, forutnately, he's recovered more quickly than last time cuz numbers lucent was proper

3) autechre really likes electronic bowel movements and they're kind of lost in their own head. i think making a rap album would be really good for them

and 4) we all know better. 1997 will never happen again cuz we're not that naive/non-jaded/hopeful that our music will be unilaterally recognized by many-to-all as the far-n-away best, and like, now it's just like we take what we can get and the cheap beer white trash sect of our peoples are diehard snares fans thanks for weeding them out funky bw0y THE END

it's never coming back. we're not htat stupid/shallow/whatever... we just take a little bit of this and that and that and this and enjoy what comes

Guest abusivegeorge

Sini just made a post conisisting of nothing longer than 1 sentence.

Why hasn't there been a thread about this?

Archived