IGNORED

health care in Europe and Asia

marf

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest analogue wings

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/12/hawking_british_and_alive/

In perhaps the most amusing effort to discredit US President Barack Obama's plan for nationalized health care - if not the most ridiculous - US financial newspaper Investor's Business Daily has said that if Stephen Hawking were British, he would be dead.

"The controlling of medical costs in countries such as Britain through rationing, and the health consequences thereof, are legendary," read a recent editorial from the paper. "The stories of people dying on a waiting list or being denied altogether read like a horror script...

"People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the UK, where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless."

Guest ezkerraldean

http://www.theregist...tish_and_alive/

In perhaps the most amusing effort to discredit US President Barack Obama's plan for nationalized health care - if not the most ridiculous - US financial newspaper Investor's Business Daily has said that if Stephen Hawking were British, he would be dead.

"The controlling of medical costs in countries such as Britain through rationing, and the health consequences thereof, are legendary," read a recent editorial from the paper. "The stories of people dying on a waiting list or being denied altogether read like a horror script...

"People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the UK, where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless."

oh my gawd

lol @ america

Guest Iain C

It is a lol but in the interests of balance, I wouldn't be surprised if old Hawkes had private care, he and his family were hardly skint

Guest ezkerraldean

It is a lol but in the interests of balance, I wouldn't be surprised if old Hawkes had private care, he and his family were hardly skint

aye

to be fair the NHS isn't a good example of a state healthcare system. the UK's more like a hybrid between the US and a real welfare state

http://www.theregist...tish_and_alive/

HOly shit is that for real? Not an Onion parody? that's fucking LOLerrific.OMG...if you go to the original article, they've edited it to say that Hawking was living in the UK, but no mention of the fact that he was born there...holy shit. That's fucking quality.

swh1.jpg

I know I shouldn't be paying attention to a lot of this, and that I'm sure the majortiy of Americans are wise, intelligent people.

It's certainly not good practice to lump all of them with an idiotic/uneducated minority, which, to be fair, every nation has (some more than others).

Having said all that, this snippet is way to good not to go on here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmq5slI-pEg

Guest Iain C

aye

to be fair the NHS isn't a good example of a state healthcare system. the UK's more like a hybrid between the US and a real welfare state

I've just this minute seen on Channel 4 news a quotation from Prof. Hawking where he said (paraphrasing) "I have recieved large amounts of high-quality care, without which I would not have survived". So perhaps he is on the Nash after all!

Archived