IGNORED

PS3 and PS3 Slim Price Now 299USD/Euro

Joyrex

they'll have to upgrade it at some point.. that's probably one of the things on the back burner. the thing I like about the PS3 is how they're perpetually adding features and stuff over time. it's a constant work in progress and they laid quite a foundation for whatever else it needs.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they'll have to upgrade it at some point.. that's probably one of the things on the back burner. the thing I like about the PS3 is how they're perpetually adding features and stuff over time. it's a constant work in progress and they laid quite a foundation for whatever else it needs.

Yes - in-game chat is something that's rumoured to come next (the ability to chat with friends, regardless of what game you are playing, aside from some games built-in chat feature), so being able to run the browser while being in-game is a natural assumption.

i don't understand why sony (or microsoft :blink:) doesn't just implement a unix OS for their consoles. these things are just computers, there's no reason they shouldn't be as versatile. plus the source code is FREE

i don't understand why sony (or microsoft :blink:) doesn't just implement a unix OS for their consoles. these things are just computers, there's no reason they shouldn't be as versatile. plus the source code is FREE

PS3s (not the new Slim model) can run Yellow Dog Linux... and I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 OS is based on UNIX/Linux foundations...

In contrast, the XBOX/XBOX360 OS is a Windows variant (obviously)...

When will I be able to play music while playing games? I'm really enjoying this Pixeljunk Eden game on PSN but I want to select my own music dammit!

PixelJunk Eden has fantastic music to begin with (soundtrack is available for download as well), but custom soundtracks are up to the individual developer, not Sony. There are several PS3 games that allow this.

Well my dead X360 is/was able to stream music over the network while playing games. The games even turn down their music automatically when I start playing a track. It also works the other way around, games can interrupt your music for a cutscene or whatever. I really don't agree that this is not Sony's responsibility. Especially with their ambition to make the PS3 into a media center. Take for example GT5 Prologue, the music while racing is awfull and I'm unable to just dive into the PS3 menu and play something from a media server in the network? That really makes no sense for a "next-gen" platform like this. And playing music from another system is no option, I have only 1 sound system in my room.

Apart from that I'm satisfied with my PS3 slim though. It's really quiet, small and runs great so far.

PS3s (not the new Slim model) can run Yellow Dog Linux... and I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 OS is based on UNIX/Linux foundations...

In contrast, the XBOX/XBOX360 OS is a Windows variant (obviously)...

yeah that probably explains why i hate the 360 GUI

edit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_3

Netflix is mailing out the discs for instant streaming, should get mine tomorrow.

Me too - funny thing is, I went to add some stuff to my queue, and I really couldn't find anything I wanted to watch!

but, as much as i love the ps3,

if a system has a browser, the idea is that you can use it instead of a computer.

otherwise why have it in the first place?

but, as much as i love the ps3,

if a system has a browser, the idea is that you can use it instead of a computer.

otherwise why have it in the first place?

True. I'm sure it was initially added as a laundry list of things they wanted to have and spent relatively little time developing in comparison to the other features of the OS.

Netflix is mailing out the discs for instant streaming, should get mine tomorrow.

Me too - funny thing is, I went to add some stuff to my queue, and I really couldn't find anything I wanted to watch!

have you watched dexter yet?

have you watched dexter yet?

I've vacillated back and forth on whether to watch it - it looks interesting, but I haven't been keeping up with too many series lately.

it's worth it unless you're put off by dramas with too much blood and guts. it's really more of a comedy though. character development and storyline is fantastic in seasons 1-3 (i've only seen 2 episodes of season 4), i could go on about it.

it's worth it unless you're put off by dramas with too much blood and guts. it's really more of a comedy though. character development and storyline is fantastic in seasons 1-3 (i've only seen 2 episodes of season 4), i could go on about it.

OK, I'll give it a go - and no, gore and violence never puts me off.

Archived