IGNORED

Creepy stories and ghosts and stuff thread

SR4

that would be interesting... what would cause the low frequencies?

I did a quick google search, found this interesting bit:

Many people report physical changes in haunted places, especially a feeling of a presence accompanied by a temperature drop and hearing unaccountable sounds. They are not imagining things. Most hauntings occur in old buildings, which tend to be drafty. Scientists who have investigated haunted places account for both the temperature changes and the sounds by finding sources of the drafts, such as empty spaces behind walls or currents set in motion by low frequency sound waves (infrasound) produced by such mundane objects as extraction fans. Some think that electromagnetic fields are inducing the haunting experience.

http://www.skepdic.com/haunted.html

Low frequency sound makes people feel uneasy in general. The eye resonating and seeing blurs or 'ghosts' is probably a lot rarer.

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA030476

i've lived in three *supposedly* haunted houses and not experienced shit.

also spent a night in a house that was once on that lame Most Haunted show, also didn't see a fucking thing. got royally trashed though, and played the Jurassic Park theme tune on a 200 year old piano at 3am.

fucking lol

they were probably too busy crying over John Williams' genius to haunt you.

Many people report physical changes in haunted places, especially a feeling of a presence accompanied by a temperature drop and hearing unaccountable sounds. They are not imagining things. Most hauntings occur in old buildings, which tend to be drafty. Scientists who have investigated haunted places account for both the temperature changes and the sounds by finding sources of the drafts, such as empty spaces behind walls or currents set in motion by low frequency sound waves (infrasound) produced by such mundane objects as extraction fans. Some think that electromagnetic fields are inducing the haunting experience.

Low frequency sound makes people feel uneasy in general. The eye resonating and seeing blurs or 'ghosts' is probably a lot rarer.

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA030476

hmm.. i think something like this is almost certainly the case in a lot of so called 'hauntings', but id be careful in reading it as a blanket explanation for all similar 'unexplained' phenomena

hmm.. i think something like this is almost certainly the case in a lot of so called 'hauntings', but id be careful in reading it as a blanket explanation for all similar 'unexplained' phenomena

Below 20Hz will create feelings of uneasiness, dread and nausea. Dark ambient guys like Lustmord use it all the time. It was also used in the controversial film Irreversible to make a rape scene even more disturbing, as an example of how common the effect is.

Those shows like Ghosthunters mention EMFs as having the same effect, and in that particular show they often use that as a source to debunk some haunting experiences.

Guest abusivegeorge

i've lived in three *supposedly* haunted houses and not experienced shit.

also spent a night in a house that was once on that lame Most Haunted show, also didn't see a fucking thing. got royally trashed though, and played the Jurassic Park theme tune on a 200 year old piano at 3am.

fucking lol

holy fuckin lol, I missed that.

post all the creepy ghost and horror related stuffs in here...ive been listening to these EVP videos for 2 or 3 hours today...what a waste.

anyone ever do a ouija board? how bullshit is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6wK5Y8YRuw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV8NLu36Sz0&feature=related

i find ghost boxes to be fascinating...does any one know any debunking of these things???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4n9vK0_mdk&feature=related

Sounds of hell is bullshit, funny little backstory though. A ton of fundamentalist Christian websites use the audio and story still. Bong-Ra also used bits of the audio in his Peel Session set.

"Well of Hell" sounds

i thought i remember reading that about irreversible.. id like to see (er, hear) this kind of thing utilized in film more often. gives a whole different dimension to watching films

@ joshuatxuk

As for personal ghost stories, I have experienced a couple.

I was sleeping over my g/f's dorm at St. Edwards University in Austin, TX, which is by TX standards pretty old and notoriously haunted. I woke up and stared out the window and swore I saw a hand silouette repeatedly move across the window. She said it was a tree branch and closed the blinds. The next morning I looked out and realized the closest trees were at least 50 yards away; when I asked she didn't want to talk about it.

Even skeptics in her dorm regularly saw wierd stuff often, the place supposedly is haunted by a little girl. Her and her roommates heard a girls voice often call their names. Another night she told me I woke her up and said there was a girl standing behind her. I don't remember it at all and she had not told me about the haunting rumors before that. Another time while driving around we saw a tall red cloaked figure walking around in a building we passed by.

The last one was something I witnessed my g/f freak out (I just felt uneasy) when we drove down a random farm road in rural southeast Texas. We were on the way back from Houston to Austin, and it was a clear night so we went to kill some time and stargaze. After about a half mile past a couple house roads there was another turn and my g/f just freaked out, felt really sick. She told me something was wrong, the road turned again, and then she told me there were people outside the car, running along with us. She was closing her eyes and keeping her head down at that point. I felt dreadful but didn't seen anything and I was trying not to run in a ditch or anything. When I found a place to turn around I realized we had come to a cemetary. Headed back to the highway, got out, and she felt better. Went to Sonic for food in Bastrop and the rest of the trip was ok. She doesn't like talking about it. Did some research and found out a kid buried there died from fatigue and exhaustion after running for miles to warn the town of an Indian raid after seeing a settler killed. It was sometime in the early 1800s.

The strange thing is most of these experiences have been with my girlfriend, who has a had these things happen infrequently since she was a kid. It's the only time I've seen anything, and I've lived in haunted areas before, particularly in Okinawa, Japan, which was a scene of thousands of WWII killings. Hauntings can easily been debunked and all, but weird shit happends and I believe certain places and certain people are more suspectible to it. It's fascinating to read about and all, if anything.

completely off topic, but can these low frequencies register in mp3 format?

ive heard lustmord but it was in mp3

I have no idea; but I'm sure in lossless audio it is more effective. Maybe it depends on how prominent it is in the mix, I bet some still stays in decent formatted 128kps. I listened to one of his tracks, lights out, alone and I freaked out a bit, but I was tired and more suspectible to that anyway.

Vinyl isn't exactly better right? I always remember reading how that LFO single was so low the vinyle couldn't be cut properly.

Guest thanksomuch

i've worked in a "haunted" hotel and i have gobs of stories. it was built in the 20s so all kinds of fun shit has happened there... when i get the time i'll try to post a few.

Never seen a ghost, nor do I have any stories. The only creepy thing I have encountered have been when I was between falling asleep and still slightly awake. I had my eyes closed and there was this blur in my vision, it was all out of focus and out of nowhere this old lady lunged out at me and my fucking heart stopped. Earlier in the day I was told about this old lady who had died that my mom knew.

As for something else, I had a dream that Death was knocking on a glass door in some weird house. Later in that dream I was in a hospital and was told I had a brain tumor. lol

the place supposedly is haunted by a little girl.
:pedobear:

In fact, that reminds me, NBC and AE are filming the premire episode of "To Catch a Predator" Paranormal Edition" there.

Reading this thread has got me feeling drafts and hearing noises already.

Heightened senses = weird shit EVERYWHERE.

Sleep dep = fucking freaking out anyway.

Archived