IGNORED

do you like blue cheese?

Fred McGriff

do you like blue cheese?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. do you like blue cheese?

I have never had blue cheese :(.

first you tell me you've never heard gabriel/bush's 'don't give up' before and now you tell me you've never had blue cheese.

git yerself to tesco tomorrow and buy a wedge of stilton for fuck's sake. preferably whilst listening to 'don't give up' on the phones.

can you really get proper stilton at tesco?

in the states, you can get decent cheeses at decent grocers here. proximity i'm sure makes a difference, probably due to cost of shipping. (interesting to note, one of the most expensive cheeses in italy is parmesan) but they're an absolute shitfest joke compared to the proper cheeses you can get at an independent cheese shop. i bought stilton at a Whole Foods once and it was garbage, whereas my local cheese shop brings the motherfuckin ruckuss (sp) day in and day out with quality blue after quality blue of all origin. when i walk in size me up and ask if i want to try any other cheeses before i jump into the blues and i'm like "i'm about to say fuck it" so they scurry about and get a cheese plate prepared with nothing but blue in ascending stankiness order.

the tesco stilton isn't half bad. it actually comes from stilton, and is wedges cut from a proper round. it's variable, i usually dig through the pile to get the most rotten crumbliest fucked-up stilton i can find.

it's basically vibert stilton as opposed to aphex stilton. but it's not bad, and most of the time it's all i can get.

very common here is grated 'parmesan' in a salt/pepper sorta plastic container thing. shit is an affront to nature.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest abusivegeorge

Well I've certainly been told. I shall, after my AA meeting tomorrow, go to the Tescos next door, and grab myself some blue cheese.

also, i want to ask this seriously

what do you sup cheese along with?

im a pretty bare bones cheese and crackers man, occasionally with some malbec.

also, i want to ask this seriously

what do you sup cheese along with?

im a pretty bare bones cheese and crackers man, occasionally with some malbec.

buffalo chicken

very common here is grated 'parmesan' in a salt/pepper sorta plastic container thing. shit is an affront to nature.

oh god the radioactive shit. here that shit comes in a green kraft cannister. i had some in-law family from italy in town (long story but sos i dont get called out on inconsistency when sharing personal anecdotes, when my wife's family fled el salvador during the civil war in the early 80s, some went to the US, some went to Italy) recently, and my aunt-in-law was making risotto and was all assuming that i would have a green cannister of radioactive parmesan dust and she had an "americans suck at cheese" look on her face and then i busted out a proper wedge of parmesan and she spontaneously backflipped and welcomed me formerly to the family.

parmesan is quickly becoming one of my favorite cheeses. though roquefort is like the big cheese in my life, parmesan as a utility cheese is amazing, i grate that shit on my cereal and in my beer and all over myself after i bathe.

Guest thanksomuch

Blue Cheese Soup

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons Butter

1/2 cup Each finely chopped: onion, celery, carrot

1 teaspoon Minced garlic

1/3 cup Flour

2 teaspoons Cornstarch

3 cups Chicken stock

1/2 pound Each Stilton and Cheddar, crumbled

1/8 teaspoon Baking soda

1 cup Cream, heavy or light, as desired

1/3 cup Dry white wine, if desired

Salt to taste

Dash of cayenne

1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper

1 Bay leaf

Directions:

Melt the butter, add the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic. Cook until tender, about 8 minutes.

Stir in the flour and cornstarch, cooking until bubbly, about 2 minutes. Add the stock, the two cheeses, baking soda, cream, and wine. Stir and blend until smooth and thickened.

Add salt, cayenne, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to a slow boil and let simmer 8 to 10 minutes

Remove the bay leaf. Test for consistency. May be thinned with a little milk or wine if too thick.

Garnish with the parsley and serve.

speaking of parmesaean,

there is some sort of irish cheddar that tasted exactly like parmesean but smooth like cheddar...goddamn it was fucking PERFECT.

i love parmesan but its way to brittle to chomp on.....

oh god the radioactive shit. here that shit comes in a green kraft cannister. i had some in-law family from italy in town (long story but sos i dont get called out on inconsistency when sharing personal anecdotes, when my wife's family fled el salvador during the civil war in the early 80s, some went to the US, some went to Italy) recently, and my aunt-in-law was making risotto and was all assuming that i would have a green cannister of radioactive parmesan dust and she had an "americans suck at cheese" look on her face and then i busted out a proper wedge of parmesan and she spontaneously backflipped and welcomed me formerly to the family.

parmesan is quickly becoming one of my favorite cheeses. though roquefort is like the big cheese in my life, parmesan as a utility cheese is amazing, i grate that shit on my cereal and in my beer and all over myself after i bathe.

"parmegiano reggiano, the undisputed king of cheeses" - mario batali

speaking of parmesaean,

there is some sort of irish cheddar that tasted exactly like parmesean but smooth like cheddar...goddamn it was fucking PERFECT.

i love parmesan but its way to brittle to chomp on.....

sounds like perrano (not irish though)

answering your previous question, I eat cheese by itself. maybe with something sweet, like blue and pear, but i just sit there and eat it. and of course if it's on a burger or part of a pasta gravy that's great too but when i buy a nice block i just sit down and eat it with a knife. i try to drink wine with it but i really cant think of a wine that pairs that great with blue. but if i'm in the mood to eat good cheese then i'm in a drinking mood too so i'll be drinking something.

my local grocers sells fresh whole fresh basil - as in a plant, in a pot, and you just rip the leaves off and tear them up and put em on your food. proper parmesan shavings and uberfresh basil like that would make dogfood palatable. lifts any meal into the stratosphere.

basil that fresh has a strangely sex-like odour.

Guest thanksomuch

my local grocers sells fresh whole fresh basil - as in a plant, in a pot, and you just rip the leaves off and tear them up and put em on your food. proper parmesan shavings and uberfresh basil like that would make dogfood palatable. lifts any meal into the stratosphere.

another crazy good herb that i don;t see that often tho is Cuban Oregano. it's a weird little plant with furry leaves but it is much easier to cook with then regular oregano and has a high yield.

hbplab.jpg

i made a blue cheese creamy sauce with it one time over a spicey steak and i thought i was ganna diiiiiie it was so good.

most supermarkets do this. i keep basil, corriander and mint plants in the kitchen. basil plants i've had from morrisons are pussy as fuck. you don't water them everyday and they just wither and die. got a basil plant from tesco though and it's hard as fucking nails. i've only been watering it every 2/3 days, sometimes not for a week, and all it's got to show for the abuse is a couple of withered leaves at the bottom. the leaves have also been getting progressively thicker and leathery, properly butch. i think it's because when it's come the watering, i've been doing the equivalent of an occasional heavy weight regime as a opposed to a consistent aerobic workout.

my basil plant would murk your basil plant.

most supermarkets do this. i keep basil, corriander and mint plants in the kitchen. basil plants i've had from morrisons are pussy as fuck. you don't water them everyday and they just wither and die. got a basil plant from tesco though and it's hard as fucking nails. i've only been watering it every 2/3 days, sometimes not for a week, and all it's got to show for the abuse is a couple of withered leaves at the bottom. the leaves have also been getting progressively thicker and leathery, properly butch. i think it's because when it's come the watering, i've been doing the equivalent of an occasional heavy weight regime as a opposed to a consistent aerobic workout.

my basil plant would murk your basil plant.

cmon then blud

Guest leprechaun

I have never been able to eat bleu cheese and I want to like it so bad. It just tastes nasty to me. I'm pretty picky about the cheeses I will eat - I don't like mild tasting cheeses. For instance, can't stand mild cheddar or those really bland cheese cubes they serve on cheese trays at weddings and events. Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar is a win though. My absolute favorite is a good goat cheese.

i have a buddy whose apartment building once smelled strongly of basil. turned out his downstairs neighbor was dead and decomposing.

i still like pesto

goddamn veiny disgusting looking roquefort.

im thinking now of getting a really , really nice steak and melting roquefort crumbles on top of it.

Roquefort.jpg

goddamn look at those beautiful huge green slime chunks towards the bottom.

i need to go jerk it now.

once - and ONLY once, i encountered roquefort in tesco that was lol blue.

i reckon a rare coincidence of the cheesemake inspecting that particular wheel being half-asleep, and the quality control guy being half-asleep, and the 19-year old metallica fan shelf-stacker being stoned on cheap soapbar. the perfect storm.

it was a mere suggestion of cheese, a framework; the rest was mold.

maybe a quarter of the contents was just powder in the bottom.

of course i bought it .

at the previously mentioned cheese cart i once bought blue goats cheese that burnt your tongue.

it had a bitter tang that lasted for hours. was like eating cheesy lye.

and that was amazing too.

actually if you want to try what is basically roquefort's b-side, get yo self some bleu d'auvergne

Bleu_auvergne.jpg

srsly fucking good.

dude, try it with slices of a sharp apple like a green granny smith, and maybe some branston pickle and soda bread

stilton is excellent versatile. it's excellent in a bacon sandwich with some brown sauce too, for example.

Archived