IGNORED

Sysex Librarian suggestions

awepittance

SO i recently tried out this awesome looking (looking being the operative word) program Midiquest XL. It's in theory supposed to be able to break out all the changable parameters of my Yamaha VL1 synthesizer to a friendly looking panel of knobs and faders.

fun picture here: Voice.png

A lot of the features that are supposed to work in the program such as being able to randomly generate whole banks of patches and patch mixing are really useful, so far so good, they work! Ultimately i'd like to be able to tweak the knobs and faders in the program too but so far they seem to have no effect on the sound (although i'm sure my midi connections are solid because i'm able to read and write patches made from within the program onto the synth). Maybe someone here as used this program with other hardware and has some suggestions.

on another broader note, i am also looking for something to transfer Vl1 banks and voices to my Yamaha VL1 over sysex/midi. Before i would load the patches onto floppy disks with my PC (the yamaha uses dos formatting for ease of use) and stick the disk in my Yamaha, but the floppy recently crapped out on me. So i either need to fix the floppy (which seems unlikely) or figure out a way to transfer the *.vc (voice) and *.all (banks) to my Vl1.

So far im having a hard time figuring out how to do this, most of the Sysex transfer programs i've seen require a *.mid or an actual sysex file to work. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I know this is probably common knowledge for a lot of hardware users here, i have no experience using anything outside of a propitiatory software editor (nord modular, polyevolver) for a piece of hardware before.

Guest ryanmcallister

I use this

I don't know if it's the best but it gets the job done. I believe you can also use any midi sequencer to send/receive sysex messages too. Your synth should have something in it to activate "hear SYSEX" or whatever then you just load the SYSEX file into your sequencer as a midi file and play it back, routing the track to your midi device. don't quote me on this though, I haven't actually tried it myself.

i use jsynthlib to move patches to my rack synths. works fine most of the time

woah thanks analogue wings, i had a feeling you would be of some help. this program looks like exactly what i need. i will try it out tonight. ive tried midiox for PC and sysex librarian for osx with no luck. I also managed to find a really old school 'expert editor' for the Yamaha Vl1 , it runs on OS9 only though so on my G5 i tried running it in classic mode, unfortunately the classic mode of Mac osx cannot find my m-audio midiman 2x2, it only supports midi data coming from the serial or printer port :(

Archived