IGNORED

The biography on The Black Dog's webpage

Guest ruiagnelo

Guest ruiagnelo

On their site (The Black Dog)there used to be a Bio section where Ken Downie talked about how The Black Dog was born and the years he spent travelling, from where he got his musical influences, but now it's missing. Is there any alternative location of that text or does someone here have it?

Guest boredroom

I don't know where the info has been moved to or from. What I think I remember is that the name The Black Dog originated from a dream/nightmare?? that Ken had about Anubis above him as he slept??

Guest ruiagnelo

I don't know where the info has been moved to or from. What I think I remember is that the name The Black Dog originated from a dream/nightmare?? that Ken had about Anubis above him as he slept??

That's is very interesting, and matches the info that this bio had about ken, like he spent a lot of time travelling and eventually lived on north africa for a couple of years, which probably made him very interest in egyptian mythology.

It's curious that this biography had little information on Plaid boys and a lot of downie, and that's why i wanted to read it again.

all of that interesting stuff that used to be on the old website has gone now. been scrapped i guess because for better or worse it's a 'new era' of the black dog, apparently. the current websites are all done and maintained by the Dust brothers i think, and for some unknown reason they binned all of that intersting stuff!?? - the bio and the brief history of the beginnings of the original black dog trio, the stuffs on magick, egyptology, the tarot, kabbalah(?), etc. etc. - all gone! everything is run by Dust now it would seem.

i can remember a lot of info from the bio, tho.... and it was mostly about Ken because it was written by him and was about himself growing up.. and how The Black Dog formed.

it started off with "..i always knew i was weird....", lol.... and went on to talk about how this lady he met whilst strawberry picking one summer had got him interested in certain things, like magick, and music, and sex.. and how he spent 2 years in Morroco as a child, which no doubt influenced him, and then how he had a really weird and vivid dream one night when he was still in the Navy which ended with him drawing a picture of annubis on the wall whilst he was asleep, i think.... stuff like that, is that what you're talking about? :)

Guest ruiagnelo

all of that interesting stuff that used to be on the old website has gone now. been scrapped i guess because for better or worse it's a 'new era' of the black dog, apparently. the current websites are all done and maintained by the Dust brothers i think, and for some unknown reason they binned all of that intersting stuff!?? - the bio and the brief history of the beginnings of the original black dog trio, the stuffs on magick, egyptology, the tarot, kabbalah(?), etc. etc. - all gone! everything is run by Dust now it would seem.

i can remember a lot of info from the bio, tho.... and it was mostly about Ken because it was written by him and was about himself growing up.. and how The Black Dog formed.

it started off with "..i always knew i was weird....", lol.... and went on to talk about how this lady he met whilst strawberry picking one summer had got him interested in certain things, like magick, and music, and sex.. and how he spent 2 years in Morroco as a child, which no doubt influenced him, and then how he had a really weird and vivid dream one night when he was still in the Navy which ended with him drawing a picture of annubis on the wall whilst he was asleep, i think.... stuff like that, is that what you're talking about? :)

Definitely man, that last sentences are almost like i remember them from the bio. I wish i could read it again :(

Guest boredroom

well shit im gonna have to dig up me treasure chest of goods cos I know I got a print out of that and what sirch says rings big bells. I used to have a friend in Scotland who printed me all that stuff off bbs or something feedback biteback or something.. TBD were way ahead with the computers before many - wasnt their first album going to be called something like music from cyberspace lol or shit like that its on the back of BDP003 12"

Guest ruiagnelo

well shit im gonna have to dig up me treasure chest of goods cos I know I got a print out of that and what sirch says rings big bells. I used to have a friend in Scotland who printed me all that stuff off bbs or something feedback biteback or something.. TBD were way ahead with the computers before many - wasnt their first album going to be called something like music from cyberspace lol or shit like that its on the back of BDP003 12"

Wow man, can you give some more info on that?

Thank you

Guest boredroom

I am overdue on getting me mas loft cleared and i got banana boxes of tapes/ magazine interviews printouts, mailorder send outs with charts and reviews a lot of old flyers and stuff from early 90s I plan on going round there maybe Friday coming so Ill see what I can do..

Guest ruiagnelo

I am overdue on getting me mas loft cleared and i got banana boxes of tapes/ magazine interviews printouts, mailorder send outs with charts and reviews a lot of old flyers and stuff from early 90s I plan on going round there maybe Friday coming so Ill see what I can do..

Thanks ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest boredroom

good news - I picked up said stuff. On quick glance I see a 'balil unreleased' cassette but no bdog bytes So.. If it aint in the box then Im guessing its on the other side of the balil tape.. I also got that old black dog article confirmed.. aint read it again yet so maybe i can scan it in and post it here is that allowed??

Guest Joebot Kill

good news - I picked up said stuff. On quick glance I see a 'balil unreleased' cassette but no bdog bytes So.. If it aint in the box then Im guessing its on the other side of the balil tape.. I also got that old black dog article confirmed.. aint read it again yet so maybe i can scan it in and post it here is that allowed??

that would be awesome. please do that!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sirch

post it! nobody's said anything so i guess it's ok to do so.

i've read it before, myself,.. so i'm not bothered either way,

but tbh i'd much much rather hear that unreleased Balil tape!!!!!!

please :D

i mean that's what it's all about, really... and this is a Plaid sub-forum, after all, eh. :)

so bring on the Balil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest boredroom

hey ho.. Im just back a weeks holiday and catching up with things.. A friend has a tape deck and music software where he said he will rip it.. Im meeting him next weekend so hopefully not long after that we'll have an mp3 or something - the other stuff, the black dog info is over a dozen pages long and ill get around to scanning them and posting hopefully this week.. hang tight..

ps. Didnt want to start a new thread *for obvious reasons* see Autechre oversteps 2 versions! doh lol but I wanted to ask Plaid/Autechre fans have you heard or seen the exclusive tracks that Plaid and Ae done for a project called Stormy waters in Glasgow back in around 1994??? It was promo'd on VHS to which I believe there are only 5 copies - yes only 5 copies in existence! Know anything about this?? One of the Plaid tracks 'Stormy' was taken from this, the rest I believe are all unreleased including Autechres 2 tracks - I think Plaid done 3 tracks inc stormy..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ruiagnelo

hey ho.. Im just back a weeks holiday and catching up with things.. A friend has a tape deck and music software where he said he will rip it.. Im meeting him next weekend so hopefully not long after that we'll have an mp3 or something - the other stuff, the black dog info is over a dozen pages long and ill get around to scanning them and posting hopefully this week.. hang tight..

ps. Didnt want to start a new thread *for obvious reasons* see Autechre oversteps 2 versions! doh lol but I wanted to ask Plaid/Autechre fans have you heard or seen the exclusive tracks that Plaid and Ae done for a project called Stormy waters in Glasgow back in around 1994??? It was promo'd on VHS to which I believe there are only 5 copies - yes only 5 copies in existence! Know anything about this?? One of the Plaid tracks 'Stormy' was taken from this, the rest I believe are all unreleased including Autechres 2 tracks - I think Plaid done 3 tracks inc stormy..

Hello mate! Plaid's Stormy is indeed around, but i don't think i have ever heard about those autechre tracks and i didn't know there were only 5 copies in existence. What a rarity.

Thank you so much for the rip and info about the Black Dog. Cheers!

Archived