IGNORED

peeple not nowin english

marf

Guest Babar

I find english amazing in it's rich vocabulary and historical development, but there are nuances in other languages that convey vastly different meanings.

its

It's always a joy for me to come up with a word then think "t t t, let's see if there is a synonym" because most of time there is one. Also what i like about english is that verbs are satellite based. In french you would say "descendre", "monter", while there's only one verb in english, "go" and two satellites "up", "down". This pretty useful and elegant.

Babar-

I found the same attitude was common with Franco-Canadians in Montreal. I assure you I'm not a rich, annoying white girl, so the problem lies with them.

Franco-Canadians are assholes.

I find english amazing in it's rich vocabulary and historical development, but there are nuances in other languages that convey vastly different meanings.

its

It's always a joy for me to come up with a word then think "t t t, let's see if there is a synonym" because most of time there is one. Also what i like about english is that verbs are satellite based. In french you would say "descendre", "monter", while there's only one verb in english, "go" and two satellites "up", "down". This pretty useful and elegant.

descend, ascend, rise, fall?

Guest hydrozone

I find english amazing in it's rich vocabulary

I find the opposite.

I often asked what the English word for x or y concept we have in French is, and I get a "uuh...I don't think there's a word for it" or "well, it's 'the fact of doing x or y'".

I wish I had an example now...

Archived