IGNORED

turn table

halisray

I want to purchase a turn table from craigslist - LX1 (Sony) Vintage 1980's full metal body direct drive turntable for $100

3k83m13le5T95P05R5a3g20340c4362321fec.jpg

3nb3m93oc5T85Pf5Rda3g6c41211cffa5143d.jpg

3n83o83pc5T85P05Rda3ga202289797c91b7c.jpg

Is this any good? Also, would I have to purchase additional equipment in order to make the turntable work? I'm not very knowledgeable about these things.

Thanks for the help.

so an amp and speakers only? and is it worth buying it? is vinyl that much better? does that look like a decent turntable?

cheers

vinyl is a very subjective thing. for a lot of people the allure of vinyl isn't so much the sound, but more of the amount of respect you are paying to the music when you listen to vinyl.

you don't just throw a CD in a player and hit play/skip tracks and have it playing in the background while you watch tv...vinyl demands your attention, you have to be careful with it. you have to change sides. you have to keep the record clean, keep the stylus clean, make sure the turntable is as dust free as possible.

with CDs and MP3s it's too easy to just skip tracks, not listening to the order in which the artist intended the tracks to be in. also it's easy to let the music become background noise to your life. i may be pretentious here, but music is art and as such should earn more respect than just being the soundtrack to your life.

anyway, enough pontification from me.

other things with vinyl that you need to keep in mind - it can be an expensive habit. and once you're hooked, it's worse than crack :p

so an amp and speakers only? and is it worth buying it? is vinyl that much better? does that look like a decent turntable?

cheers

vinyl is a very subjective thing. for a lot of people the allure of vinyl isn't so much the sound, but more of the amount of respect you are paying to the music when you listen to vinyl.

you don't just throw a CD in a player and hit play/skip tracks and have it playing in the background while you watch tv...vinyl demands your attention, you have to be careful with it. you have to change sides. you have to keep the record clean, keep the stylus clean, make sure the turntable is as dust free as possible.

with CDs and MP3s it's too easy to just skip tracks, not listening to the order in which the artist intended the tracks to be in. also it's easy to let the music become background noise to your life. i may be pretentious here, but music is art and as such should earn more respect than just being the soundtrack to your life.

anyway, enough pontification from me.

other things with vinyl that you need to keep in mind - it can be an expensive habit. and once you're hooked, it's worse than crack :p

nicely said

This is true. I'm mainlining at this point after a 20 year addiction.

I mean vinyl, not crack. See I was going with the analogy there.. :facepalm:

Archived