IGNORED

Puredata docs?

Celatid

I have never really gotten into it very far but I sort of understand the FM stuff. There are tons of example files that should be in Programs/Puredata/?

somewhere like that. It sort of runs in a tutorial sequence that I find more than enough to learn from If I were to get into using it. I does require a bit of learning though there are also forums for it that are helpful I forget where though.

Edit: Oh yhea I agree the docs suck but they are just the original technical outlines from when PD was first developed just use the tutorial files theres loads of explanations for components when you click on them and stuff and It is all there just it isn't obvios.

Guest Pococurante

There is a tutorial section in the "Docs" folder that should be in the same directory has your bin folder.

Miller Puckette has a book that he is working on - it is available to public. In it, he has PureDate examples to illustrate synthesis techniques in real time. The book is called "Theories and Techniques of Electronic Music".

Other than that, there are no tutorials that I know. A general understanding of computer music, trigonometry, and maybe some Calculus will help you. Run a search on the internet and download some patches, that always helps too.

don't download other people's patches - it'll only confuse you. there are ton's of commented examples that come with the distribution. check them out from beginning to end.

Thanks guys, the stuff with the distro helped along with this tut here ( http://footils.org/tut/pddrums/pddrums.html ) , I had found the docs/examples on my own, but otherwise it was bit meh, I didn't really get it, but then with the technical stuff and whatnot, I have sort of a basic grasp of what I'm doing. Knowing various programming languages and synthedit certainly helped though. I've got an extremly basic 16-step sequencer playing I made playing a synthesised kick and snare.

One thing I haven't figured out: Is there no way whatsoever to save the information in the gui things like sliders and toggles and whatnot?

also, how does one save audio into a wav/mp3 whatever render?

what i do is to loadbang a fixed value from a numeric atom into the slider/whatever. i don't think there's any other way.

but making a sequencer is quite an achievement for a beginners project. i made a modular (8 steps = 1 module) sequencer with start/stop/pause/rewind controls that acts on probability - the value set on the step is determining the probability of the note event on that step. and it took me quite a few hours :)

Guest Pococurante

Good question.

I don't know how, which is why I stopped using it for a long time. I concluded that there is no way, because it was geared for realtime streaming, although part of me recalls seeing a patch that employed a recording routine (could be mixing it up with Max/MSP). I didn't do thorough research on it though, and it seems ridiculous that it would lack such a capability.

If anyone knows, I'd like to know as well.

with all due respect, that program looks a bit crappy

with all due respect, I've been having more fun making music in the past 3-4 days than I have had in the past 3-4 months.

with all due respect, that program looks a bit crappy

Its actually very powerful. Its pretty much exactly like Maxmsp i believe. same creator, but less commercialized and less user friendly. But very awesome and fun for low level modular sthinguuffs. It does look crappy I guess, but it is free.

Archived