IGNORED

Coloured Pixel Generator

Dragon

Hello, all. I've just been tinkering with a small Flash game that allowed you to randomly generate a 32 x 32 grid of coloured pixels. You can choose the amount of colours it uses, from anywhere between 1 and 10, or you can choose "all colours" and it will choose from any colour with a hex triplet.

It may take a few seconds to generate the grid, and choosing between 7 and 10 colours may slow down your computer. I'd recommend 4 or 5 colours, but "all colours" also looks nice and shouldn't take too long. Once you have your grid, click anywhere to go back to the menu.

Here are a few screenshots of what it can do:

pinkmolt.png

mountain.png

carwashstop.png

Have fun! I'm considering uploading this to Newgrounds, but I'm not so sure. I've had bad experiences with it before.

random pixels.swf

do you have any way of implementing rules about what goes next to what? (ie 'if a pixel is blue, it's neighbours can be of colours x,y, or z. if a pixel is green... etc)

Guest Rabid

or did you...? :whistling:

Are you new to flash? Your next project shoudl be to make an interactive .swf avatar. I've seen several members do it.

Yeah, but I did it first.

actually, some dude programmed this first in 'how to create a 2-dimensional array the size of the screen, and fill it <character-sized blocks of> OR <with> random numbers, probably using BASIC and nested FOR-NEXT loops', from the manual of whatever computer it was way back when we first moved from mono to more than two colours.

i haven't ... err... opened it, but how can this take A FEW SECONDS???

you using BitmapData? creating separate DisplayObjects? how on earth can it take seconds? :D

Archived