IGNORED

home made balloon camera pics of earth

keltoi

Guest Gary C

Two things:

So the balloon goes up miles and miles high, pops at a certain altitude and then parachutes back down. He uses a GPS tracker to recover the box. I should imagine he only sends the balloon up when he knows it won't float out to sea, but who's to say it couldn't land in Germany or something?

Isn't this illegal? It probably shouldn't be, but the balloon could interfere with planes or the box might not drop properly and end up killing someone.

Oh well, it's still a nice idea. Apparently NASA have even congratulated him.

Guest Gary C
Launching the balloon requires permission from the Civil Aviation Authority so Mr Harrison usually travels to one of two approved sites in Cambridge.

Okay, he has permission and a safe launching site.

So maybe I just don't understand enough about the process (almost certainly true) and it's very unlikely that it could float over to Europe.

:cisfor:

but the balloon could interfere with planes

yeah i thought that especially after reading...

At ground level the helium balloon has a diameter of one metre. As it rises, the air pressure drops and the balloon expands to a diameter of up to 20 metres.

Archived