IGNORED

Instrumental Music

posture

Also while I primarily enjoy Electronic Instrumental music, I also love Exotica or Lounge, the Slidey/Twangy/Guitar stuff from the 50s/60s and of course Classical. But Electronic is my first love, It made my day when I heard Vangelis' Chariots Of Fire theme in Walgreens the other day.

I have nothing against lyrics, especially considering what an incredibly versatile instrument the human voice is, it's just that a lot of popular music gives lyrics too much emphasis, to the point where it overshadows all of the other instruments.

I like vocals when they aren't the focal point of the song. I like when they are kind of blurred and obscured and become part of the atmosphere. Basically shoegaze and lo-fi stuff.

if you asked me what the lyrics in my top 10 favourite songs were about, i probably wouldn't have a clue.

Same here to some extent. I'm a lover of older Sonic Youth, but I'm pretty sure the lyrics to 'I'm Insane' are meant to mean fuckall beyond indiscriminate quoting of pulp novels and yet the song doesn't mean anything less to me. As for what you said about picking up on certain lines in lyrics thatch (I think you said), that's what often appeals to me about my bad example Radiohead. I have trouble making out what he's on about over an entire song, but I love Thom Yorke's turn of phrase and some of his lines of are enough for me to forgive him being a bit of a knob sometimes. Same often goes for Wire for me as well (although I don't think any of them are knobs).

Not sure what I'm trying to say really, but sometimes lyrics too can become an integral part of a song without imbuing it with a specific meaning. I grew up listening to New Order though, so lyrics for me are obviously not the be-all and end-all.

Archived