IGNORED

New Cisco router is how fast?

Guest Fishtank

Guest Fishtank

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1972540,00.html#ixzz0jzFHcPzg

The CRS-3, a network routing system, is able to stream every film ever made, from Hollywood to Bombay, in under four minutes. That's right — the whole universe of films digested in less time than it takes to boil an egg. That may sound like good news for consumers, but it could be the business equivalent of an earthquake for the likes of Universal Studios and Paramount Pictures.

well the whole 'can stream every movie ever in less time than to boil an egg' is just an example of the throughput it has. doesn't mean it's made to do so...

I doubt movie studios really give a fuck

who is the article directed to?

If this kills Hollywood i don't care , in fact i hope it kills Hollywood.

TOOKER JERBS

actually that really is a lot of good people you're talking about. i think you're looking for the MPAA.

This is kind of like saying that a 2TB hard drive can hold 3000 full length divx movies. Doesn't mean anything.

Hollywood isn't suddenly fucked because of a new router. They've been fucked since bittorrent made it possible for any noob to grab a movie in less time than it takes to drive to blockbuster or the theater.

Guest Fishtank

that's a pretty hyperbolic statement but still, the router is fast as shit

The Cisco CRS-3 triples the capacity of its predecessor, the Cisco CRS-1 Carrier Routing System, with up to 322 Terabits per second, which enables the entire printed collection of the Library of Congress to be downloaded in just over one second

In 2004, Cisco released the 92 terabit CRS-1, which enabled the entire printed collection of the Library of Congress to be downloaded in just over three seconds.

That was 6 years ago.

So Cisco released something 3 times faster and Time says "it could be the business equivalent of an earthquake for the likes of Universal Studios and Paramount Pictures." It's bullshit.

Props to the Cisco PR team for getting all this mainstream coverage, though.

Archived