IGNORED

looking for a cheap microphone

Guest 1KB

Guest disco_epilepsy

i've finally decided that i want to record some things, such as guitar, piano, me hitting things with other things, and the occasional joke-rap

i ventured onto musicianswarehouse.com.au, home of cheap gear and 2-month waiting periods for out of stock turntables, to check out some prices. it was then that i realised i know absolutely nothing about microphones, AT ALL

if i want to record a variety of different things, what sort of microphone (and what brand) would be best for me? i'm not looking for perfect quality, just a microphone that will get my point across and sound "good enough"

at the moment my price range is up to about $100AUD, although if these microphones aren't worth it i may be willing to increase it a bit

(also, would it be better if i went to a music store and tried out some microphones? all the stores around here are expensive, it's much cheaper for me to get things off the internet)

Guest Analogue Wings

Hey Disco,

If you're looking at a wide range of instruments, including acoustic ones, then you almost certainly want a CONDENSER (not DYNAMIC) microphone.

Be aware, however, that you will need to provide PHANTOM POWER to a condenser mike for it to do anything. If you don't already have a preamp/recording interface/channel strip/plain ol mixer that can supply phantom power, then you are looking at an extra thing to buy.

If you dont want to buy an extra thing, then you should get a DYNAMIC microphone, but you should not expect it to sound supar great on things like pianos, acoustic guitars and you hitting things.

If you are cool with buying the extra thing, or you already have one, then you should be able to get a good condenser for JUST OVER your budget.

I'd strongly recommend the Studio Projects B1, a really nice condenser which retails for $NZ150 over here.

Since Rode is an Aussie made brand, you might be able to get one of those pretty cheap too.

Good luck!

Guest disco_epilepsy
Hey Disco,

If you're looking at a wide range of instruments, including acoustic ones, then you almost certainly want a CONDENSER (not DYNAMIC) microphone.

Be aware, however, that you will need to provide PHANTOM POWER to a condenser mike for it to do anything. If you don't already have a preamp/recording interface/channel strip/plain ol mixer that can supply phantom power, then you are looking at an extra thing to buy.

yes i do have phantom power (i've got a mixer with it) so i'll look into some condenser mics. i checked out the Rode mics on musicianswarehouse, but they were all $300+. I'll have a look around for the Studio Projects B1

thanks!

Guest Mr. Magoo

what month of what year are you born disco? please :grin:

and i suggest for a mic, a nice cheap one :grin:

edit:

haha oh shit where in aus you from disco?

i bought an audio technica AT822 for 250 bucks, but its designed for field recording

i'm sure i could bust some phat raps into it, and just convert from stereo to mono to stereo back again in sound forge if need be

Guest asjbfoo

Check this out

If you're the DIY type you could try building a set using these plans. The capsules listed on there are actually discontinued (and the wrong part number is listed), but I found that the WM-61B102B has nearly identical specs. I'm going to be building two... after I get done with all the other shit I'm making... which may be a while.

Guest disco_epilepsy

i just found out that i know somebody who works at a music store that can get me a microphone with severe discounts :ok: i'll be going there next week some time to check them out

what month of what year are you born disco? please :grin:

edit:

haha oh shit where in aus you from disco?

march 1990

geelong, victoria

STALKERS AHOYY :mellow:

Guest sinkfield

if u want dynamic go for a shure sm 57 - cheap, reliable, and fairly good sounding ( u get what u pay )

if u decide to go condenser and spend some more money ( its worth it if you really want a good sound and if youre serious about it ) get a shure ksm 44

Guest Analogue Wings
if u want dynamic go for a shure sm 57 - cheap, reliable, and fairly good sounding ( u get what u pay )

I bought an SM58 (same as a 57) 2 yrs ago and it was $NZ300 = $AU260ish = well over Disco's budget

Guest Mr. Magoo

i got one of these Shure%20microphone%20Model%2055SH%20004_small.jpg

can someone tell me how i can incorporate it into electronic music or experimental...as in i'm gonna use it for piano,

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sinkfield

I bought an SM58 (same as a 57) 2 yrs ago and it was $NZ300 = $AU260ish = well over Disco's budget

i believe you got ripped off...u can find sm57's for US$99

and a 57 and a 58 are not the same...i believe 58's polar pattern is a bit different from the 57... i think one's a cardioid and the otherone is a hyper cardioid,im not sure about that tho

i have three mics

one is really really cheap, one is really cheap, the other is cheap

i tried recording my firends guitar tonight..... we were jamming. and. well.

none of them werked

yAy

i guess i need a mic too

Guest sinkfield
i got one of these Shure%20microphone%20Model%2055SH%20004_small.jpg

can someone tell me how i can incorporate it into electronic music or experimental...as in i'm gonna use it for piano,

what kinda piano is it?

your best bet is just to experiment with mic placement...get a nice mic stand that expands and just record yourself playing piano and move the mic aropund untill you find the sound youre looking for

Guest vindic8or

get a condenser mic. not a dynamic.

look into SE Electronics. SE1A, SE3 and SE2200. try them out in the store before buying.

Archived