IGNORED

From Fermilab, a New Clue to Explain Human Existence?

J3FF3R00

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/science/space/18cosmos.html?ref=todayspaper

Physicists at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory are reporting that they have discovered a new clue that could help unravel one of the biggest mysteries of cosmology: why the universe is composed of matter and not its evil-twin opposite, antimatter. If confirmed, the finding portends fundamental discoveries at the new Large Hadron Collider outside Geneva, as well as a possible explanation for our own existence...

...Joe Lykken, a theorist at Fermilab, said, “So I would not say that this announcement is the equivalent of seeing the face of God, but it might turn out to be the toe of God.”

btw... Fermilab is awesome. I grew up nearby and hve been there a few times. It feels like a location out of a Cronenberg movie.

There are also tons of buffalo roaming around. Wikkid!

92-0452.jpg4536044519_d918eb43b2_b.jpg4539468538_7a21867f4b_b.jpg4541542623_97ddb2d627.jpg

800px-Fermilab.jpg

Guest 277: 930-933

Wow, those pictures are beautiful, only one I've seen from Fermilab was the air shot where the Tevatron is shown.

Also, yay for muons!

That interior shot is so nice, that´s what my living room has to look like when I grow up.

Guest 277: 930-933

The clue is B-mesons decaying into matter muons more often that anti-matter, which could explain why the universe is not filled with 50-50 matter/anti-matter.

Which is different from what the Standard Model predicts, which in turn opens up possibilities for different models/theories to hold water.

As far as I can understand anyway.

Archived