IGNORED

slightly reticent to bring it up but..

pylonbitch

One program I wish I'd followed, being a bit of a comic geek. My mate's a bigger Marvel / DC geek and tells me nothing but great things about it. Just never watch telly regularly enough to have kept up and can never be arsed buying DVD box set after box set.

An aside, is it wrong to love Superman: The Movie and Superman II? I don't care, if is.

One program I wish I'd followed, being a bit of a comic geek. My mate's a bigger Marvel / DC geek and tells me nothing but great things about it. Just never watch telly regularly enough to have kept up and can never be arsed buying DVD box set after box set.

An aside, is it wrong to love Superman: The Movie and Superman II? I don't care, if is.

nah mate, they're fucking good movies... the mix of genuine comic book action (with the 70's/80's limitations re effects and technology), comedy and pathos is fucking tight.

plus, chris reeve is a genius bit of casting. he genuinely made clark and soup two different characters.

superman returns, on the other hand was a jobby on a stick. utter, utter shite. see also superman iii and iv. total shite.

nah mate, they're fucking good movies... the mix of genuine comic book action (with the 70's/80's limitations re effects and technology), comedy and pathos is fucking tight.

plus, chris reeve is a genius bit of casting. he genuinely made clark and soup two different characters.

superman returns, on the other hand was a jobby on a stick. utter, utter shite. see also superman iii and iv. total shite.

Couldn't agree more. I loved the idea of Superman Returns as a sequel to Superman II and effectively erasing the clusterfucks of No's III and IV. In delivery though it was the biggest letdown since The Phantom Menace. I expected a lot more from Bryan Singer, personally I loved what he did with X-Men (the first two films anyway).

And props to Chris Reeve (R.I.P.), his Clark Kent was every bit as likable and watchable on screen as Superman himself, perfect performance for me. And the battle between Supes and Zod Non and Ursa still feels epic now as when I first saw it aged 9 or 10 or whatever I was when I first saw it on the flicks, regardless of how aged the effects look now I still find it breathtaking. No amount of CG on-screen masturbation has yet to equal that so far for proper supe-battle spectacle IMO.

Guest disparaissant

i dont like the idea of superman at all (an alien who is basically invincible unless he's around an exceedingly rare mineral that somwehow all the bad guys are able to make/find without any problems, meeeeh) but i looooove the first two superman movies. chris reeves is amazing (and oddly, hot as hell) and the story is solid.

also the few episodes i saw of smallville weren't bad. and i fuckin loved farscape.

Archived