IGNORED

somber jazz

Guest bacteriatastic

Black Saint and the Sinner Lady bleeds emotion like a hemophiliac, but it's definitely not somber. Bacteriatastic, are you specifically looking for dark/gloomy?

I dig it. I used to have a more extensive jazz collection, but it got eaten by western digital at one point. What I've built up tends more towards the brash even when dark/moody, so I can't really offer much beyond the obvious (eg, the aforementioned Kind of Blue, which even though everyone and their mom knows of it, is still good enough to almost occupy the entire field of quiet and moody, at least for me. There's a ton of other stuff like it out there, but Kind of Blue really was hugely influential).

Actually, if you're really looking to branch out, I think Zorn can craft some really evocative, somber pieces, even when they're all PoMo-exotic or loungy. You just have to be prepared for some blasts of noise on the very next track. Not the best or easiest starting point, but interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0jwvLCuCB0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK3PeVWrm1M

Guest bacteriatastic

Also, I second In A Silent Way, if you haven't jumped on that one already.

that second video was really good. "noir" type of stuff.

and yes i definitely gotta get silent way soon

Kind of Blue, dark and gloomy. Lol

It's not dark and gloomy, but it's definitely moody, and Blue in Green and Flamenco Sketches in particular are pretty fucking melancholy. At least the way I hear 'em.

Archived