IGNORED

intervention on dog's behavior

Guest ruiagnelo

Guest Scrambled Ears

i feel your pain. after years of putting up with our neighbors' abuse, and after plenty of attempted diplomacy on our part, we finally called the cops on them. they retaliated by poisoning our dog.

:ohmy: i hope your dog was/is ok... you do need to be careful dealing with some people. be diplomatic and tell them you'll pay to get a shock/scent collar (if its worth it to you...not that i think you should have to pay for it...but this should at least show them that you're looking for a solution and not just being bitchy). seriously though, fuck people and their ridiculous dogs. around here there's 8 million pitbulls (and 8 million pitbull poopies). one of them jumped up at me on the street once. the owner assured me that he just wanted to play...

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i only read the OP. one of our neighbors had a barky dog. all day and into the night. basically he never took it out so it was crazy. someone (still not sure who) sent him an anonymous note threatening to call the noise police (whatever they re called) and this incensed him. he accused me and gave me the larry david eyeball. i now realize he is insane. he threatened to buy our building and evict us. anyway i believe he saw sense, i overheard him apologising to another neighbor last month and i haven't heard the dog since. so its probably dead. anyway the point of the story is there are government agencies who deal with complaints like this. just call them anonymously. job done.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

this might sound weak but i wouldnt let them know that it bothers you. don't be diplomatic as then they'll know its you who complains. if people let their dog bark all night then they clearly can't be bargined with. best to be like a ninja.

Guest theSun

i feel your pain. after years of putting up with our neighbors' abuse, and after plenty of attempted diplomacy on our part, we finally called the cops on them. they retaliated by poisoning our dog.

:ohmy: i hope your dog was/is ok... you do need to be careful dealing with some people. be diplomatic and tell them you'll pay to get a shock/scent collar (if its worth it to you...not that i think you should have to pay for it...but this should at least show them that you're looking for a solution and not just being bitchy). seriously though, fuck people and their ridiculous dogs. around here there's 8 million pitbulls (and 8 million pitbull poopies). one of them jumped up at me on the street once. the owner assured me that he just wanted to play...

pitbulls love to jump when they play. they also playbite if it's not vigorously trained out of them. there is a difference between playful and aggressive. of course big dogs with strong jaws shouldn't be allowed to jump incessantly because that could cause unintentional injury, but chances are the dog wanted to play.

dogs are animals and we can only communicate so much with them. believe me it's tough training a pit! i have a pit/boxer and she is very good most of the time walking people on the street, but when we first got her she would pull pull pull and try to get to sniff whatever it was she wanted. now she understands that this is unacceptable, but squirrels make her crazy. so i can totally understand why you don't want dogs jumping on you, but understand that dogs have a different way of communicating that isn't so obvious and it's unlikely any dog will just run up to you and bite aggressively.

Guest Babar

Look. The dogs. They're behind a fence right? If it's a metallic fence you could like you know electrify the fence, but heh, discretos and just for a moment. If the dogs touch the fence and are electrocuted you can be sure they're going to develop a full blown neurosis toward the damn fence and wo'nt dare approaching it anymore, an then mate, this is peace and glory flowing back in your life.

Guest ruiagnelo

Look. The dogs. They're behind a fence right? If it's a metallic fence you could like you know electrify the fence, but heh, discretos and just for a moment. If the dogs touch the fence and are electrocuted you can be sure they're going to develop a full blown neurosis toward the damn fence and wo'nt dare approaching it anymore, an then mate, this is peace and glory flowing back in your life.

there's no fence, there is a meter high wall. and even if it was a fence, they are about 6 meters from the wall, locked in their chains, so it wouldn't work.

Guest ruiagnelo

pitbulls love to jump when they play. they also playbite if it's not vigorously trained out of them. there is a difference between playful and aggressive. of course big dogs with strong jaws shouldn't be allowed to jump incessantly because that could cause unintentional injury, but chances are the dog wanted to play.

dogs are animals and we can only communicate so much with them. believe me it's tough training a pit! i have a pit/boxer and she is very good most of the time walking people on the street, but when we first got her she would pull pull pull and try to get to sniff whatever it was she wanted. now she understands that this is unacceptable, but squirrels make her crazy. so i can totally understand why you don't want dogs jumping on you, but understand that dogs have a different way of communicating that isn't so obvious and it's unlikely any dog will just run up to you and bite aggressively.

look: pitbuls shouldn't be able to jump at a person like that, period.

i think its obvious at this point that there are very dangerous dog types and laws should be created to prevent accidents and educate people.

my brother had this girl friend who was bitten by a dangerous dog in her face, when she was like 8 years old.

should this happen? what went wrong there?

my country has laws that restrict certain types of dogs and owners should be severely punished. as far as i know nothing happened to the owner of this dog.

laws are complemented with human sense. if one fails, the other will as well.

a lot of people are not ready to own a dangerous dog.

electrify the brick wall

i dont care whether they can reach the wall

rambo, can i borrow that gun in the picture and get rid of the basterds?

Guest theSun

i think its obvious at this point that there are very dangerous dog types and laws should be created to prevent accidents and educate people.

my brother had this girl friend who was bitten by a dangerous dog in her face, when she was like 8 years old.

my country has laws that restrict certain types of dogs and owners should be severely punished. as far as i know nothing happened to the owner of this dog.

the owner creates the danger. breed specific legislation is a crock of shit. pits are more energetic, but they are not more aggressive than other dogs. only uncontrolled energy or abusive owners create dangerous dogs. any dog might jump on you if they are trained that excited behavior = play.

should that girl have been bitten in the face? i don't know. should i get hit by a car? whose fault is that?

Guest Scrambled Ears

the owner creates the danger. breed specific legislation is a crock of shit. pits are more energetic, but they are not more aggressive than other dogs. only uncontrolled energy or abusive owners create dangerous dogs. any dog might jump on you if they are trained that excited behavior = play.

should that girl have been bitten in the face? i don't know. should i get hit by a car? whose fault is that?

hah didnt expect the thread to go in this direction but anyway...

i dont want pitbulls playing with me because i live in the bronx(moving soon) and people here are morons. they train their dogs the way they do everything else, violently and irresponsibly. honestly, he seemed like a friendly dog...but their heads are enormous and scary. if that thing bit my gonads i would be done for.

the argument about the car seems pretty silly. a car doesnt get up and drive itself. sure their are plenty of accidental manslaughters and sometimes a pedestrian or bicyclist goes through a street where traffic is flowing without even looking. i saw an old dude do a 5 lane frogger once that looked like a real quick gameover...i still dont know how he made it through...maybe he was god. anyway when you get into a car you have to accept the reality that you are managing extreme physics and can kill a human being easily. everyone does stupid things including pedestrians but I wager 8/10 its the drivers fault. changing the ipod or spilling coffee or racing...whatever it may be. I guess i see the point and its not like you would care if you were dead but it just seems like a poor example.

anyway i have nothing against pitbulls. im sure id love one if i owned one. i just dont like the gangsta rappers who own them and the way they treat them. no offense if youre a rapper...but having a dog for "protection" is like having a gun for "protection"...youre overcompensating for being a chicken shit in the eyes of eternity.

Guest Drahken

I understand your complaint completely. Pitbulls are not the savage breed they are made out to be, and I've seen plenty of cases of small and large breedss being just as aggressive...I know a girl who was savagely mauled and permanently scared by a corgi. But your absolutely right about the dipshits out there who buy a pitbull with the intent of raising it to be a aggressive guard dog, and the reality is most don't do any training and just neglect the shit out of them. Others adopt one without knowing its history, and equally risky situation. It really rubs me though when people start spouting off about how the breed is unstable and should be exterminated, punishing responsible dog owners like myself. I have a pitbull (staffordshire terrier) and I have never met a breed as intelligent or loving, and that is saying a lot because I absolutely abhorred the idea of a pitbull when my wife and I met (it was her dog). They do, however, require a lot of work and even then you have to be cautious about social situations with unfamiliar people. I make a point to only socialize our dog with people who actually want to meet it because I know how scared people can be of the breed.

The jumping thing is pretty common though to the breed, ours used to do it a lot too. They do it because they don't like feeling restrained, and when they jump while being leashed up it makes them more uncomfortable and want to jump more. Taking my dog for walks used to be an awful and embarrassing experience anytime someone walked by because of this...And then I discovered gentle lead collars, and viola! no more jumping dog.

Guest the anonymous forumite

Throw a bunch of dark chocolate into their yard, problem solved.

I would do that. If asked, I'd say the dogs seemed hungry and I didn't know chocolate could be poisonous.

Signs and Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning

Poison by chocolate can occur quickly if your dog had a large amount, but sometimes even small amounts will show signs of poisoning within a few short hours. Symptoms include vomiting and diarrhea, restlessness and hyperactivity, and he or she might even go to you for help and answers. Symptoms will progressively get worse from restlessness to arrhythmia and other muscle twitching. Frequent urination is common, a direct side affect of the toxin in chocolate.

If you know your dog had chocolate and even the first signs develop, call a veterinarian right away. If you are unaware of your dog eating chocolate but develop these symptoms, this might also be a sign of another poison and you need to find a doctor immediately. If symptoms in chocolate poisoning don’t decrease at this point, they will probably increase to hyperthermia and seizures, which can quickly escalate to a coma. Death follows shortly.

Why is Chocolate so Poisonous?

Chocolate contains a natural occurring stimulant called theobromine found in the cocoa bean plant Theobroma cocoa, the bean that makes chocolate. Theobromine is the poison as it affects the central nervous system, as well as the heart of the dog, throwing their system into panic which often manifests in the form of epileptic seizures.

Guest ruiagnelo

hah didnt expect the thread to go in this direction but anyway...

i dont want pitbulls playing with me because i live in the bronx(moving soon) and people here are morons. they train their dogs the way they do everything else, violently and irresponsibly. honestly, he seemed like a friendly dog...but their heads are enormous and scary. if that thing bit my gonads i would be done for.

the argument about the car seems pretty silly. a car doesnt get up and drive itself. sure their are plenty of accidental manslaughters and sometimes a pedestrian or bicyclist goes through a street where traffic is flowing without even looking. i saw an old dude do a 5 lane frogger once that looked like a real quick gameover...i still dont know how he made it through...maybe he was god. anyway when you get into a car you have to accept the reality that you are managing extreme physics and can kill a human being easily. everyone does stupid things including pedestrians but I wager 8/10 its the drivers fault. changing the ipod or spilling coffee or racing...whatever it may be. I guess i see the point and its not like you would care if you were dead but it just seems like a poor example.

anyway i have nothing against pitbulls. im sure id love one if i owned one. i just dont like the gangsta rappers who own them and the way they treat them. no offense if youre a rapper...but having a dog for "protection" is like having a gun for "protection"...youre overcompensating for being a chicken shit in the eyes of eternity.

(i will just cut the previous replies, because this is getting bigger)

well, the car argument just doesn't apply to this situation.

both cars / trained dogs depend on people's command, right? so that takes us to the human side of the thing.

and the point is that responsible people, being them at the steering wheel or walking their pitbull have a sense of what they are handling and usually that results in no accident.

--

man, the girl shouldn't have been bitten. period.

i don't think you are aware of the differences between a pitbull and for instance, a spaniel, but they range from simple byte to certain death. that's why some species are considerend dangerous, even tho they seem to be jumping around.

this is a question of mentality and rationality, even the hardest laws can't do anything if people aren't capable of thinking right. and that goes with dogs, guns, cars, you name it.

I would do that. If asked, I'd say the dogs seemed hungry and I didn't know chocolate could be poisonous.

Poison by chocolate can occur quickly if your dog had a large amount, but sometimes even small amounts will show signs of poisoning within a few short hours. Symptoms include vomiting and diarrhea, restlessness and hyperactivity, and he or she might even go to you for help and answers. Symptoms will progressively get worse from restlessness to arrhythmia and other muscle twitching. Frequent urination is common, a direct side affect of the toxin in chocolate.

If you know your dog had chocolate and even the first signs develop, call a veterinarian right away. If you are unaware of your dog eating chocolate but develop these symptoms, this might also be a sign of another poison and you need to find a doctor immediately. If symptoms in chocolate poisoning don’t decrease at this point, they will probably increase to hyperthermia and seizures, which can quickly escalate to a coma. Death follows shortly.

Chocolate contains a natural occurring stimulant called theobromine found in the cocoa bean plant Theobroma cocoa, the bean that makes chocolate. Theobromine is the poison as it affects the central nervous system, as well as the heart of the dog, throwing their system into panic which often manifests in the form of epileptic seizures.

Reading this, all I can think is "Where the fuck is Troon right now?"

Reading this, all I can think is "Where the fuck is Troon right now?"

who the fuck are you

WHO THE FUCK ARE ALL YOU FUCKING NOOB

Guest theSun

man, the girl shouldn't have been bitten. period.

i don't think you are aware of the differences between a pitbull and for instance, a spaniel, but they range from simple byte to certain death. that's why some species are considerend dangerous, even tho they seem to be jumping around.

this is a question of mentality and rationality, even the hardest laws can't do anything if people aren't capable of thinking right. and that goes with dogs, guns, cars, you name it.

i'm not going to stretch the car analogy, it's just another situation where humans are in complete control and fuck up endlessly. the thing about cars is that they are legislated much more closely through drivers' licenses, reckless driving laws etc, whereas someone walking their unruly dog down the street aren't going to get punished unless someone is injured.

i think you aren't getting what i mean by "should the girl have been bit?" because i'm looking at it as a whole situation. was the dog growling beforehand? was the girl overly excited? did the owner know how to read their dog? these are just some of the things that can cause an unpredictable dog to react instinctually, which is not what any dog owner wants. (obviously i'm not saying i hope the girl gets bit or some such idiocy)

you nailed it when you said no law can change the dangers presented by everyday life, it's just people and their personal judgements. a hyperactive breed is like a sports car, you still know how to drive it but it could turn into a dangerous situation more easily. (sorry i'll stop with this analogy)

I'll tell you what I'm blathering about! I got information--new shit has come to light and--shit, man! She bit herself!

Archived