IGNORED

Any good gigs/festivals in Central Europe in August?

Guest Happosai

Guest Happosai

I'm going to be spending three weeks backpacking in and around Central Europe from 5 August, primarily to attend a couple of music festivals:

- OFF Festival, Katowice, Poland, 5 to 8 August 2010

- Strøm, Copenhagen, Denmark, 16 to 22 August 2010 (I'll probably be arriving on 19 August).

I haven't yet made any concrete plans as to where I'm going to be from 9 to 18 August, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any good gigs or festivals (electronic, experimental, noise, etc.) taking place during that period anywhere in Central Europe.

[Happosai]

There's the Stekker Fest in Utrecht, Netherlands on the 14th of August, with Ceephax, DMX Krew, Loops Haunt, Slagsmålsklubben and a lot of cool Dutch artists. It's a one-day festival and it costs about 30 euros. The party place is easy to reach by tram from Utrecht central station.

Oh, nice. I think I might be going to Strøm, never even heard about it before. I have time off then anyways. What a hideous website though.

Guest Happosai

I was going to suggest 10 Days Off but I can see that it has already started.

It's finished now. There were quite a few interesting festivals in mainland Europe this month, but I didn't have time to organise getting to any of them (I was in Spain for most of June...went to Primavera Sound and Sonar, though). Hoping to go to Reworks (Thessaloniki, Greece, 17 to 18 September 2010) and Iceland Airwaves (Reykjavik, Iceland, 13 to 17 October 2010) later in the year...'tis nice to have some money and no job! :)

There's the Stekker Fest in Utrecht, Netherlands on the 14th of August, with Ceephax, DMX Krew, Loops Haunt, Slagsmålsklubben and a lot of cool Dutch artists. It's a one-day festival and it costs about 30 euros. The party place is easy to reach by tram from Utrecht central station.

Looks good...will keep it in mind.

Oh, nice. I think I might be going to Strøm, never even heard about it before. I have time off then anyways. What a hideous website though.

Cool. Yeah, their website is pretty awful.

SonneMondSterne 6/7/8 August

http://www.sonnemondsterne.de/index.php?id=217

Looks like it's sold out (clashes with OFF anyway).

[Happosai]

Iceland Airwaves is a great festival! I've attended IA twice and even though the line up was a bit weak the second time around it was still a blast because Iceland is simply amazing! This year's line up is a lot better though.

Guest Happosai

Iceland Airwaves is a great festival! I've attended IA twice and even though the line up was a bit weak the second time around it was still a blast because Iceland is simply amazing! This year's line up is a lot better though.

I've wanted to go to Iceland for quite some time, so now that I've got the time and money (their current financial situation helps...! :), I thought it was about time I checked it out, and tying it into going to a music festival is a bonus.

[Happosai]

Moderat is playing at this year's Iceland Airwaves so you should definitely jot that down in your calender.

Also, may I recommend Domo - a lovely Icelandic restaurant inspired by French and Japanese cuisine. Because of their financial situation eating at this fantastic restaurant costs practically nothing. Normally this is one of the pricy restaurants in Reykjavik. My friend and I went there twice and the second time they gave us extra dishes (such as a small slice of raw whale which was absolutely yummy).

I was going to point out some restaurants on Google Earth but it seems that they've removed the street view function in Iceland. Oh well...

Guest Happosai

Moderat is playing at this year's Iceland Airwaves so you should definitely jot that down in your calender.

I saw Moderat at Primavera (although I don't actually remember it very well for some reason...!) and they're also playing Reworks, but may catch them again there.

Also, may I recommend Domo - a lovely Icelandic restaurant inspired by French and Japanese cuisine. Because of their financial situation eating at this fantastic restaurant costs practically nothing. Normally this is one of the pricy restaurants in Reykjavik. My friend and I went there twice and the second time they gave us extra dishes (such as a small slice of raw whale which was absolutely yummy).

Thanks for the tip. Japanese is right up my street, and I'm quite adventurous with food (although I'm not sure I'd want to try the putrid shark with grated puffin they eat in Iceland...).

I was going to point out some restaurants on Google Earth but it seems that they've removed the street view function in Iceland. Oh well...

Maybe they updated it whilst the volcano was errupting...! :)

Streetview appears to be available for Reykjavic on Google Maps.

[Happosai]

Guest Happosai

Weird, I can't get it to work?

Anyway, holy shit I want to go back to Iceland right now. Here's some pictures from my last trip:

Ah, my mistake, it's just showing user-submitted photos around Reykjavik (was half way out of the door and didn't check it properly!).

Definitely want to get out of the city to see some awesome geography there.

[Happosai]

Archived