IGNORED

R.I.P. Satoshi Kon

Guest GrandPopPoplock

A final message was posted to his website on his behalf on Wednesday, after his passing. His website is currently under heavy traffic load, but ANN archived a copy.

In the beginning of the message titled "Farewell," Kon recalled:

May 18 of this year, an unforgettable day.

My wife and I received the following prognosis from a cardiologist at the Musashino Red Cross Hospital:

"The pancreatic cancer is terminal and has metastasized to the bone. You have at most a half year left."

Later, he remembered meeting with MADHOUSE founder Masao Maruyama about the final anime film he was directing:

When I conveyed my concerns for Yume-Miru Kikai to Mr. Maruyama, he said, "It's fine. Don't worry, we'll do whatever it takes."

I cried.

I cried aloud.

He concluded his message with the following:

With feelings of gratitude for all that is good in this world, I put down my pen.

Well, I'll be leaving now.

Satoshi Kon

Jesus... so sad.

I've been urging all the people I know that liked Inception to check out Paprika. It has a similar premise to Inception (though it came out way before), but shows how the premise can flourish with decent writing and a director with a rich imagination.

My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I read this! And I'm having a bad day as it is! Dam! Fuck! he wasn't even that old was he?!

Paranoia Agent is one of the best things ever made. And probably always will be.

R.I.P friend

Finally watched Tokyo Godfathers... for a film about 3 bums looking after a baby it was really something special. Then rewatched Perfect Blue straight after, definitely up there with the best psychological thrillers regardless of the fact that its an anime.

Gonna try my best to watch the rest of his films. I owe him that much...

Archived