IGNORED

music in the fourth dimension

Guest disparaissant

We would only hear it in the current dimensions that we occupy, so unless the "4th spacial dimension" part of the music effects the 3rd it would sound the same.

and it would.

imagine you live on a 2d world - squares and triangles, not spheres and cubes.

now imagine an egg slowly moving through the plane you live on - you would experience it as a series of ovals, getting bigger and smaller dependent on the angle the egg intersects the plane at. it's a 3-d shape cut by a 2-d object (an infinitely large plane)

a similar property is thought to hold true for us 3d humans. a 4d object would seem to morph and change unpredictably to us as it is cut by a 3-d object (an infinitely large box, also commonly known as reality)

Well yeah. But like you're saying basically, it'd just be a regular old 3d sound. produced 4th dimensionally, but still. Probably wouldn't sound spectacularly different.

so a three dimensional object can be interpreted as a quite dense series of two dimensional layers. and a four dimensional object consists of a dense series of three dimensional layers.

if that's translated to music as a three dimensional object, then four dimensional music would consist of a dense series of these three dimensional musical layers. in our three dimensions, we would experience a four dimensional song as an ever-shifting series of its three dimensional layers. probably an unfathomably transforming cacophony of sounds. in four dimensions, you'd be all 2106734511_029b3f1ffc.jpg

so a three dimensional object can be interpreted as a quite dense series of two dimensional layers. and a four dimensional object consists of a dense series of three dimensional layers.

if that's translated to music as a three dimensional object, then four dimensional music would consist of a dense series of these three dimensional musical layers. in our three dimensions, we would experience a four dimensional song as an ever-shifting series of its three dimensional layers. probably an unfathomably transforming cacophony of sounds. in four dimensions, you'd be all 2106734511_029b3f1ffc.jpg

in 4-d geometry this is often called the quaternion method. it lends itself well to calculus and integration

this is a 2-d representation of a 3-d slice of a 4-d quatertnion fractal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkmqT6MQoDE

in 4-d geometry this is often called the quaternion method. it lends itself well to calculus and integration

this is a 2-d representation of a 3-d slice of a 4-d quatertnion fractal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkmqT6MQoDE

yeh that's about right

Guest disparaissant

i asked a friend of mine who is going for a physics degree on facebook, here is his answer:

Ok, so assuming the radial symmetry sound waves in 3-d, of I conceptualized this using a 4 dimensional "sphere" 0=x²+y²+z²+w². Assigning different values for w, at each "height" in this 4-dimensional space, there would be its own 3-dimensional sphere, and I'd assume that this would correspond to an individual sound wave occurring at every point in the original 4-dimensional one. So it would have this weird diminishing ripple effect of cascading waves.

Soooo... I don't know what most of that means, but I think what he's trying to say with that last sentence is "it would sound like Bieber stretched."

Guest Calx Sherbet

i've read about the theory of the 4th dimension (and all the way up through 10). but a song in 4D would seem like the whole song at once

Guest Backson

i wrote this big fat awesome fucking insightful response, and then my god damn internet explorer fucked up.

god, it compared music to Donkey kong for fuck's sake.

oh well.

ps, haters gonna hate

tumblr_l7zmsghbHP1qbljfto1_500.jpg

Guest Calx Sherbet

Well since we are 3rd dimensional entities, we are only capable of seeing the shadow of a 4th dimensional object. What the actual 4th dimensional object is, we will never fully see unless it is filtered into a 3rd dimensional interpretation. So until we transcend as a human entity or invent the flux capacitor, we will only be able to "hear" the shadow of 4th dimensional music.

hqdefault.jpg

Archived