IGNORED

This is why most of modern FX cinematics suck

o00o

Guest Coalbucket PI

Going on those first images I think it must be said that Tron Legacy looked cooler than the original and is a perfect candidate for CGI because of the nature of the story. I appreciate what people are saying about the atmosphere for the actors to work in which is true. It doesn’t always look bad in itself but often leads to sloppy performances both from actors and animators, that is what needs to be dealt with because they aren’t going to go back.

I saw Legend over the weekend, say what you like about the story but the fantasy world that Ridley Scott created kicks serious ass. Not much can touch it.

you just can't beat real sets and real monsters, props ftw. Cgi has its place but its overused.

That sums up my feelings on the subject. CGI has a place for sure, and when it's done well it can really enhance the vision/scope of movie. Practical effects still win, however, as there's an immediacy to them that helps the viewer buy in to them.

As it stands, CGI will perhaps only ever convince as truly 'real' when they truly nails things like materials (clothing for example) and how they interact with light. The 'weight' of CGI items seems to be a problem as well.

Guest couch

I like cgi more when it's very subtle or done well enough that it isn't noticeable. Gollum is a good example, they pulled that off well. When watching the movies you aren't really bothered by the cgi.

Huge +1 to all those old sci fi sets. Not much of that anymore. At most they make a "set" for the floor and anything interacted with directly and green screen the rest.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I like cgi more when it's very subtle or done well enough that it isn't noticeable. Gollum is a good example, they pulled that off well. When watching the movies you aren't really bothered by the cgi.

Good point, I couldn't think of an engaging CGI character but thats probably because you don't notice the CGI if they are good.

nothing can beat the intro to blade runner.. not a single bit of cgi was used. and its awesome.. just projected film and acid burnt brass with a high wattage lamp.

if no one has seen 'dangerous days' do so. 3 hour documentary on the making of blade runner. soo cool soo cool

this is also kind of awesome. Robert Rodriguez telling in 10 minutes how to shot a great movie with nearly no budget:

Archived