IGNORED

Good record/book shops, touristy things, attractions in Chicago?

Guest KY

Hey guys,

My little lady and I are going to be going to Chicago in what seems to be four or five months (or however far away March 2012 is from the time you're reading this) and I'm looking for the chi-town sights and sounds you hold dear.

So far, we're thinking of stopping by the Adler Planetarium, Willis Tower, some hot dog vendors/restaurants among other eateries, Navy Pier and the Magnificent Mile (whatever the fuck that is—to be honest with you, my gf has taken to researching locations a lot earlier than I have).

Beyond that, though, what would you guys suggest I do while there? I have a hefty list of record shops, seeing as I'm a consumer whore, so along with any additional suggestions, let me know if any of these are worth checking out.

Dusty Groove America

Reckless Records (but which one?!?)

Dave's Records

Groove Store

Bucket O'Blood Books and Records

Deadwax

saki

and two less vinyl-specific stops:

Carlos and Sarah's Surplus of Options

Logan Hardware

And obviously that big fucking silver bubble thing. Help me out with any and all suggestions, dudes!

Go to Portillo's. Get a Big Beef sandwich with extra juice and hot peppers.

P1090475.JPG

I believed they have an autographed photo of R Kelly on the wall :emotawesomepm9:

I grew up there but it's changed a lot since.

Millenium Park is where the silver bean is. It is nice to go there and have a little walk to the lake front.

Navy Pier isn't too far (you could possibly walk). That is pretty touristy, but there is a big ferris wheel that is worth admission.

For breakfast, go to Lou Mitchell's. That place is old-school. If you aren't nearby, there is an Original Pancake House near Clark and Lincoln.

While you are there, you need to get some Chicago Pizza. Try Due's or Lou Malnati's.

Also, get a Chicago Style hot dog at Portillo's or at Clark Street Dog.

The Museum of Science and Industry is cool. So is the Art institute and the Field Museum.

I can't really remember much else. I go back twice a year, but I normally just visit family.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

you can find more than enough information from the local foodie culture at lthforum.com and other places, so i'll just break down the record stores for you real quick:

dusty groove - probably the best in the city, if you know the name you know what they sell here. ridiculously deep soul/funk/jazz hip-hop collection, just ridiculous, and as a result of course can be crazy pricey. (no listening stations for anything :cry: )

reckless - probably the milwaukee ave location, they can send stuff from store to store for free too. probably the one i visit the most. occasionally you'll find good used vinyl here for not too crazy prices (no listening stations, for vinyl)

mr peabody's records on the far south side/kstarke in uk village (latter has listening stations) - if you're into funk/disco/electro/house, that old school shit, you Must visit one or both of these places. same could be said of gramaphone, though gramaphone has a much more extensive dance music collection and lots of different electronic(a) (and also listening stations). your best bet for electronic music, overall, is probably gramaphone.

dave's - quite small, mostly rock, didn't sustain my interest much.

bucket 'o blood is tiny and specifically focuses i think on dark heavy metal and lots of variants.. more a bookstore than a record store innit. the brewery right next door to it is well worth your money, it's called revolution. i live a mile away, holla if you go!

saki - very small and out of your way, no idea how they're staying in business but i guess just That many people are buying records. in comparison to the other stores (i) listed, their collection is tiny and most likely you'll only find newer shit here. think panda bear, indie shit.

i haven't been to logan hardware since they opened, i should go back... i hear their back room has a Very sweet collection of old arcade games you can play! plus another really good bar across the street from there called quenchers.

:flower:

Archived