IGNORED

Settling down a assiociative music label in Leipzig, Germany

Lucas

Hi,

I'm sure I made another topic about that maybe one year ago but it seems to be gone. I just wanted to update it in case anyone cares, but obviously I have to go for a new one.

So, in less than three weeks some friends and I will move from France to Leipzig (in Germany), with the project of building up an associative label. As some of us are musicians and have a knowledge in sound engineering, we want to play music, record it, and also record local or friend bands. One of us also wants to settle a plastic art studio and to develop both her own projects and the visual aspect of the label.

I'm not sure why I'm posting that here, maybe just because I think it would be cool if some watmmers are from Leipzig or around and are interested in such a project. I'll probably share more information there when we'll be more advanced in our plans.

edit : fuck it, why do I always write the threads titles badly?

Guest kokeboka

My friend set up a label earlier this year, and it's failing miserably - mainly because he chose to work with the wrong people, and runs a naive business model. The music industry badly needs good small labels run by musicians; I'd start one if I wasn't so crap with people. And lazy.

Do you have a calendar set for when you'll start getting artists and launch?

My friend set up a label earlier this year, and it's failing miserably - mainly because he chose to work with the wrong people, and runs a naive business model. The music industry badly needs good small labels run by musicians; I'd start one if I wasn't so crap with people. And lazy.

Do you have a calendar set for when you'll start getting artists and launch?

We have nothing really precise yet. The idea of the project was born when we all studied together, about one year ago. We decided to spend some time in France, everyone in its home town in order to get a little amount of money before to go. In three weeks we'll move with all our equipment + some clothes and we'll spend the firsts weeks in Leipzig with couchsurfing. We already have a few contacts there, especially the one of an awesome guy who hosted two of us for about five days when we visited the city. So if everything goes well we'll put our stuff in his place (he have a lot of space) and will look for a little flat quickly.

On the long run, what we want to do is to have a big place where we'll all live and work (we're six people so far). Leipzig previously had 750 000 people, and after the wall was broken, a lot of people left the city and the population went to approximately 500 000. Now, the movement has reversed because the life is quite cheap, and a lot of things seem to happen on a cultural level. Also, there's an "alternative" quarter in the city, where a lot of little initiatives seems to happen. People we met there are open-minded and very helpful. The streets of that area are cute and very peaceful.

Anyway, there's an association in the city that can get you in contact with some owners of big flats in buildings that have an architectural value for the city, but which are kinda falling apart. If you have a cultural project that fits into one of these places, and if you work on it so that it fits to live in again, you can have a big place for the cost of the reparations and no rent (just some cheap charges, from 0.5 to 1.5 € per square meter).

That's what we're looking for in the long run, and we're already in contact with the association. So I don't know when we'll be ready to record others music properly, but what we want to do the sooner possible is to play music together and to start at least one or two bands + some personal projects (hope i'll begin to make some lives as Antape eventually !!).

When we'll be together again, we'll create a proper website, but so far all that we have is a CS page for being host before we find a flat. Here's the link : http://www.couchsurfing.org/profile.html?id=S16T6SF&from_search&search_ranking_names=1

(the cs page isn't finished yet but I'm at it right now because I'll start the couch requests tonight)

I can't wait

Gonna move this to Music Discussion... good luck!

thanks.

The reason I posted it in General Banter was that the project is not only musical (plastic art will also be involved, plus the whole idea of the thing goes with our shared wish to live together as a kind of community). It doesn't really matter though.

Archived