IGNORED

Matthewdavid - Disk II

Guest jasondonervan

Guest jasondonervan

wmf79x.jpg

LRH002

hand-painted CDr, total runtime 40.1 min

limited to 150 copies

DISK II is a full-length series of unreleased ambient music from Matthewdavid compiled since Vol.1 (2008-2012), burned to CDr, then housed in a hand-painted 5 & 1/4″ floppy disk. The nine-track collection features the friendships of Eola, Run DMT, Speculator, and a live performance on KXLU. DISK II was designed for the invested listening experience, immersion, and background ambiance/noise too! Available from Leaving Records here.

I snagged this so hard. I've really wanted the first DISK collection floppy, so I'm stoked that this dropped. Matthewdavid is that dude.

Guest jasondonervan

I saw a paypal refund this morning. My immediate thoughts were "oh great, it's been delayed/cancelled/etc"), but it was a partial refund:

"something fishy happened with your shipping calculation... apologies"

Matthew had taken the time to refund part of my payment as it was higher than needed for shipping. Well, that's my faith in humanity affirmed for the day! :ok:

• 1 year later...

Essential bump: after ordering this over a year ago I finally, finally received my copy. Matthewdavid was insanely nice and helpful during the entire debacle. USPS somehow fucked up royally, really coming down to one office + one or two iffy workers, but many employees were very nice and tried their best.

Here's the epic journey:

- Order DISK II in March (2012)

- Get confirmation email after paypal transaction

- mp3s delivered May as he sent an update on his making of DISK (these were all hand-painted) so I got to enjoy them during the summer

- In August I realize I should of received the copy - after some checking of my old addresses I realize it never arrived. There's a chance it wasn't finalized and shipped. Matt is very generous and decides to ship of of the few extras he had made.

- Check in August though Matt is busy as hell on tour and running the label, he contacts me in September and tells me he has an original series disk to ship though he was in Japan on tour. Also, Leaving Records was staying busy, in fact I ordered and received the Dual Form dual tape comp without a problem.

- January rolls around and Matthew gets back to me - we're both pretty upset - he had shipped it and the tracking number showed it was returned to sender. It also says it never got beyond my local sorting office. He's pissed too because it included a bonus song and another little memento - some cool feather he found.

This is where actually became crazy. This took place over weeks:

- My post office said it wasn't there. He checked his and they said the same.

- I call to avoid speaking with the same person at my PO, which has some bad reviews online for service, a nice older guy looks and calls back saying he couldn't find it.

- I am told that there's a chance, because it had been in limbo for over a month, that it's residing in a huge lost mail center in Georgia or it's been recycled.

- I call the regional USPS consumer affairs office in San Antonio. They don't answer. In fact, they seemed to be using a bad phone # on purpose. I suppose people give up at that point. Well, I call one of their sub-offices unrelated to lost mail and get in touch with this very friendly and upbeat guy who gives me direct phone #s to people in that office.

- They actually open a case! A day later I found out it actually arrived (they took a picture - no idea how the fuck that works, kinda don't want to know) and that my office screwed up and did not forward it to my current address. They contact the postmaster of Austin because the office manager refuses to answer calls.

- After the postmaster personally goes and orders them to look through the inventory I am told it is simply lost. I'm offered a free expedited shipping but decline. I'm too busy and so is Matthew - he had a tour in Europe.

I give up...then...

June 13th - "dude your DISK finally returned to me!!!

can u believe it???

what the heck????

hoorayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy - MD"

- I am stunned. He can't ship it immediately I find out later, but this last monday he did. Today I checked my mail and found it. It's home.

FoV7s5y.jpg

Mine's pretty unique. The paint is on a slip cover instead of the DISK itself like others I've seen online. I love the "demo 84" label. Also, it came with a little orange and brown feather and a bonus "super exclusive jam." Turns out it's a gorgeous 10 minute long space ambient epic - sounds like a lost kosmische film theme being played off an old reel to reel.

Guest jasondonervan

This needs to be reposted over in the first world success thread! Great job, amazing that it survived being kicked around the postal system for so long.

This needs to be reposted over in the first world success thread! Great job, amazing that it survived being kicked around the postal system for so long.

Hah, will do.

I actually freaked out because the CDr didn't read in my computer and I figured the CD rotted - turns out the driver was corrupted and it worked fine after an update! :happy:

Man that is cool that he took the time to keep correspondence with you through the whole ordeal. Good to know that some people care enough to do that. I'm not that familiar with his music but now I want to be.

• 3 years later...

Archived