IGNORED

Instrument Playing

Cryptowen

So I've always been knowledgeable in regards to instruments - know tons of chords & scales, how to read sheet music, playing styles, etc. I think I have pretty good pitch because I can match things to my own voice & I know how it feels to sing specific notes on a scale.

I was never much good at playing instruments in any conventional fashion, probably because I wasn't dedicated to a practice routine. I wanna change that because I've always wanted to write folk & other not-weird music along with my usual stuff, & that's just too hard to do if you have to plot it out on a computer instead of just picking up a banjo & doin it.

So like, discuss playing instruments & how to get better at it. Singing counts as well.

So far I've mostly just been going on sites like http://www.8notes.com/ , figuring out what scales/chords a sheet music uses, then playing at a slow tempo until I get it right before moving up to proper speed. Piano (technically 80s preset keyboard) & guitar are my current main focus, & I'm looking for a place to practice vocals more regularly.

play sheet music of music you know and like so it's fun to play and keep on playing till your really good.

i'm quite good at playing piano but i need to learn theory and proper stuff so i'm quite the opposite. gotta learn but i guess i'm lazy, it would really help to learn that stuff though and it would be cool to be able to "jam"

I was classically trained so I've heard all there is in the book when it comes to learning guitar. That being said, you will get SO much better if you use your ear to learn material on guitar. Chords, solos, anything.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I think best way to learn is basically just fiddle around for hours without reading much, self discoveries all over the place, find chords, practice playing faster, improve your finger strength, dexterity etc. Jam, jam, jam with percussion loops and stuff that you can change the tempo of. Way more fun than jamming with a metronome. Either way it's really good to practice without something keeping solid time in practicing drums, guitar, keys whatever usually have a really sloppy, strange, horrible sense of rhythm with their instruments.

Start writing melodies, arpeggios, chord progressions. Write and record lots and lots of songs while always trying to step up your game with every recording.

Also, it's really fun and good for learning to improve your improvisational abilities (as well as the above, working on your rhythm with a good clock) to jam with your favorite albums.

Guest Wall Bird

Do you play with other people? If not, why not?

You have to play with other people. It's such a rich experience that will develop every element of your musicianship. You'll work your ears, your technique, your timing, your improvisation, your tone, and your listening ability. On top of this your imagination will flourish in the presence of others who you can interact with and get feedback from. Playing with other people is essential.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I kind of disagree, a group of people that are not even close to comfortable with expressively themselves creatively with their instruments and aren't technically sound at all won't really improve each other. Playing with a bad drummer or anyone with bad rhythm/goes out of key all the time or what have you should be frustrating for anyone who takes making music seriously, it will not improve your muscle memory, it can even make you worse.

If you're ready and comfortable to keep up with musicians much better than you than by all means that's a great idea.

Archived