IGNORED

Which audio format is your music library in?

Npoess

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which format is you're music library in?

• 256 kbps (or lower) MP3
    • 320 kbps MP3
    • AAC
    • FLAC/ALAC
    • WAV
    • Other

Itunes seems to get the gapless playback thing right with pretty much everything I've thrown at it, and that extends to the ipod/iphone players.

The iTunes encoding gets gapless playback right for any 'i' device (iPod, iTunes etc.) but it doesn't work for a lot of other playback devices or applications, as it doesn't set the correct values for ENC_DELAY or ENC_PADDING on the mp3 tags. From what I've observed these set a sort of pre-buffer to flag to the player when to start the other track, and without it you get a click when it goes from track to track from the several millisecond gap.

That's fine by me since I only really ever listen to digital music through my iphone or itunes (I hardly ever listen to digital music at home, so don't care to bother with a superior player, especially if it means I have to keep two libraries up to date).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Itunes seems to get the gapless playback thing right with pretty much everything I've thrown at it, and that extends to the ipod/iphone players.

The iTunes encoding gets gapless playback right for any 'i' device (iPod, iTunes etc.) but it doesn't work for a lot of other playback devices or applications, as it doesn't set the correct values for ENC_DELAY or ENC_PADDING on the mp3 tags. From what I've observed these set a sort of pre-buffer to flag to the player when to start the other track, and without it you get a click when it goes from track to track from the several millisecond gap.

That's fine by me since I only really ever listen to digital music through my iphone or itunes (I hardly ever listen to digital music at home, so don't care to bother with a superior player, especially if it means I have to keep two libraries up to date).

Well yeah it's fine for itunes people but it's a bit naughty of them to make the encoder not fully cross compatible/compliant with anything non-Apple based don't you think ?

Archived