IGNORED

[Downtempo] Qatarsis - Epileptic Epiphany

Qatarsis

I was listening to this with my headphones on, so don't take everything I say into account.

The kick is really nice, but maybe a bit too punchy. I think I blinked my eyes every single time the kick played. Apart from the kick it sounds fine to me. But if I was you I would probably have a look at the snare, because it gets boring after a while. The reverb is a tiny bit tame and after a while it gets pretty noticeable that the snare is just one sample. Switch it up a bit. Load in three (or 20 if you want to) snares that sound like the one you're using now and switch between them at each hit, because that way it'll sound just a tiny bit more humanized a tiny bit less drum machine-ish.

Thanks alot Squee, that was exactly what i needed :)
I fixed the snare (4 different hits, with different reverb decays and EQing) and also a little bit less compression on the kick and I'm quite happy with the result, it's no longer such drum machine-ish, works quite well
nice, constructive input ! :)

greetz

phili

Yeah, sounds a lot better now!

The kick is still quite heavy through my headphones, though. But that could just be my headphones.

Did you change part of the melody as well? For some reason I like it better now:)

Guest redvenicerecords

I liked that, flowed well. Maybe I agree with the last couple of comment but for me, coming from a noise background, that piercing kick may have been what was needed. There's a track on the latest cass mccombs album which has a snare to end all snares. Is totally out of place and cuts off the verse into silence. Very clever and piercing.cant remember the name though, damn.

I am intrigued by the first few secondsz, but then the guitar hits and I feel like I'm in a sex scene for 9 1/2 weeks. There's a dated feeling to the sound without feeling "new"...as if the sound palates were designed in the 80s. That said, you clearly did a fair amount of work in songwriting because the themese did not become over used. I liked it, but didn't love it. Perhaps it's my headphones, but there isn't enough low end (Bose ear buds). There is a cinematic feel, which I can like--but it's more for TV. I hope you don't take offense--because the song is thoughtful and well made--with subtleties that I'm still delving into. Perhaps it is just a matter of taste.

Archived