IGNORED

CHARLES COHEN - THE BUCHLA MUSIC EASEL

Guest PolyKrome

I haven't seen this video before or this guy, seems like another one of those expensive synth vanity videos. I heard they just released a eurorack modular synth module that does one of the main trademark Buchla sounds, the 'buchla bongos' that can be heard in the beginning of this video

Guest PolyKrome

Yeah I hadn't heard of this guy before either. He is some free Jazz dude based in Philadelphia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Cohen) it says "he considered a pioneer in synthesizers and performance music." yet I haven't heard a thing about him?

I have been toying with the idea of getting a modular set-up for some time. I fear I will lose massive parts of my life (more so than I actually do now) if I start though. The 'buchla bongos' module sounds pretty sweet, I just checked it on Youtube!

Guest PolyKrome

Looks like a fun instrument.

Thumbs up for freaky thumbs, btw!

9593e62ccf38796dd9b5837a176b1858.png

Lol!

Well we can say that we didn't know what the effect of using synthesizers was going to have on us, but now we are seeing the results. Big fat freaky thumbs!

Look what the Theremin did to this guy!

0626091238.jpg

at this point unless you need to sound exactly like Morton Subotnick there isn't a reason to buy a Buchla especially for that price. Make Noize and Wiard synthesizers have released plenty of Buchla emulations that sound very accurate and now there is a software emulator for the newer 200e series under the name of Aalto put out by a company called Madrona Labs. If you have money to burn and are looking for a place to spend it, by all means get a Buchla modular system. It's probably better money spent than on something like a really expensive sports car

Guest PolyKrome

Yeah I agree. There are a lot of good alternatives to these high-end synths/modulars for relatively low costs these days, and as stated above, a Eurorack or Doepfer could be the way I go....I also like the idea of DIY!

• 4 months later...

Archived