IGNORED

do analog waveshapers exist

Ragnar

Or maybe a series of potentiometers that get scanned really fast to create the waveform that is then low-pass filtered to smooth it.

I was thinking of basically this, but with a few control points like on a parametric equalizer. Lineair, probably :P Thinking of how you could split a signal based on the value of the signal at any point.

http://www.splitradix.com/oldio/waveshaper_example.mp3

Okay, so this is all done on the Fenix II modular. What I did here was have two sine waves go into a mixer, and then the mixer output goes into the waveshaper, and the waveshaper output goes into a VCA with a regular ADSR controlling it.

I started off with just one sine wave, and then mixed the second one in at around 26 seconds in. I'm varying the volume of the sines going into the mixer, and I also have LFOs modulating the symmetry (not sure what that means but it sounds good) and the intensity of the waveshaper effect.

So as you can see (uh, I mean hear) here, it sounds like it belongs more in the ring modular area than regular overdrive or guitar pedal distortion. No external effects were used.

Oh and in case it isn't obvious, I mess around a bit with the oscillators frequency, the speed of the sequence (from the Fenix III!), the ADSR etc.

Archived