IGNORED

Mix and Mastering tutorials with Reaper - by men, for men

TRiP

I've recently started making some electronic music with a friend of mine and we're getting to the stage where we can do sweet enough live full play-through recordings...but then tear our hair out trying to mix and master them to a somewhat decent quality that doesn't sound like multiple things fighting for breathing space

so I was just wondering - would anyone out there who knows even the basics on mixing and mastering a track like to take the raw files of a simple song (lets say, a drum track, bass, lead synth, pads) and do their own mix/master with it, then post the results comparatively with the original recording of it.

posting perhaps the project file afterwards for people to open, inspect and study

now...I know what you're all thinking.."hey! he's just trying to get someone to mix a track for him!" ...perhaps! but perhaps not - if someone would be interested in doing it - i'd happily donate some raw recordings, but alternatively if someone who has mixed/mastered their own tracks could post their own original recording and then the final version they came up with (along with the project file) it would be just as informative and delightful.

Guest skibby

i was thinking about sharing my vordhosbn cover when its done. im using reaper, and i'll try and figure a way to make it use just the reaper plugs, just to make it a little file. but its taking a little while... i dont know why but it always takes me a month to make or mix a song. i hate that.

Guest skibby

Just to be PC - some of the best technical contributions on this forum are written by women.

oh yeah, i totally forgot cause i assumed it was some sort of ironic intentionally ridiculous topic title, but "what psn said"

Just to be PC - some of the best technical contributions on this forum are written by women.

oh yeah, i totally forgot cause i assumed it was some sort of ironic intentionally ridiculous topic title, but "what psn said"

Twas' only a playful play on words, ironic and that. Heed none from it.

• 4 weeks later...

a little bird told me that using wet/dry on ReaEQ or whatever is NOT the same as halving the db range for more accuracy, because of phasing crap. You would need to do it with a linear-phase EQ for that to work. so maybe you could make little surgical adjustments with ReaFIR at a really dry setting, though? Except FFT causes its own problems/digital noise, so I dunno

Guest RadarJammer

have all your tracks in Reaper quiet and use a modest setting on the computers sound mixer then use an amp to bring it up to level, so you aren't inhibited by the red zone while hashing out the rough mix

Archived