IGNORED

can someone teach me how to trigger two samples at once in ableton?

Jody Dark

so i wanna do something like, load up two drum racks with different kits (drum machines), and i wanna be able to trigger two drum samples with one click in the sequencer (one box, two samples triggered)

anyone know how to do this? im guessing it might be a macro control, but im not sure. perhaps it would be easier to load two drum machines into one drum rack, but if i could control two machines with one sequence, it would be more convenient and i would learn something cool

thx in advance!

Guest Teribal Felafal

Are you referring to triggering two sounds from two different channels? I'm not sure if that works, although there may be a way.

Usually when I want to trigger two samples or layer in a drum rack i'd use the chain feature, basically you duplicate the simpler in the cell and replace the second sound with another thus having both ready to be triggered via the one cell.

Guest Frankie5fingers

to my knowledge there is no way to trigger two samples on a single track. what i would do is load up the two samples you want to play with each other on separate tracks and create your own sample where they play at the same time. i realize that this can be time consuming if you want multiple combinations but i dont think theres any other way.

Guest RAWIII

yeah, you can only trigger one clip or sample per track (channel).. what they said about duplicating onto another track works. you can set how long before the samples trigger as you press play. by default it's set to one bar, so you can just click on each one anytime within the previous bar to have them both start at the same time on the following measure.

You should really consider taking the midi input from the track you are mainly sequencing.

Load your two drum machines into different midi tracks, for example Midi-A and Midi-B. Put your midi sequence/clip in Midi-A. For Midi-B, set the midi input to take data from Midi-A. The two different drum machines will be playing the same midi notes if they are properly mapped. Hopefully this is what you are looking for!

What you can do is when you have one of your drum racks open hit CTRL/Command G to turn into an Instrument Rack, then hit the 'Show/Hide chain list button' on that new group and drag the second rack onto the bit where it says: Drop an instrument or Sample Here

So now you've got both kits being triggered by a single midi note (which you probably don't want for every note) so you can move what midi notes trigger which samples by pressing the 'Pad Hot Swap' icon that appears and then dragging that sample to a different position on the drum rack (presumably a different octive). You can also copy a pad to a different octave by holding down CTRL/Command whilst clicking and remain holding CTRL as you drag it to a different position (eg, copy a kick and snare square to C1 so when you hit that midi note it'll trigger both samples).

What's good about this method is that the midi piano roll in Ableton will list what samples are being triggered by what row (it'll say something like Kick, Snare, Kick|Snare etc.) so you can identify what notes will trigger multiple samples.

Can you not just create three midi tracks, load the different drum tracks onto two of them, and set the routing to receive a signal from your third channel, which has all your sequence information? Route the output of the first two to a send channel so you can apply the same effects across the different kits and away you go.

I'm away from my laptop right now, but that should work, I do it all the time with multiple synth.

Archived