IGNORED

Mumph uhh

hoggy

working on my sampling skills with a cup scraping sound, maybe this will turn into something more, we'll see, just loops at the moment

Really nice approach. Feels unfinished but it definitely sounds like the basis for something good. Which sounds did you make exactly with the cup? Just this "lead" scraping sound or more? I like the beat (kick - snare - and the kind of hhat which is not a hhat) but everything sounds very raw, would benefit from some mixing (I guess you're already aware of it though).

I'm curious to know how you programmed this stuff. I also play with those kind of "concrete" recordings in my music and find Renoise really good to such manipulations.

Hi antape! Just the the lead sound yes, but I'm thinking about how to incorporate it more into the other parts (maybe adding it as a nuance to the decay or attack of the other samples for example). Definately still in a raw state like you say - any ideas how to make the mix more cohesive would be appreciated (but don't feel obliged, I'm sure I can find a good way to do it)

It's done in FL in slicex, and I mapped the start point to velocity basically - you can do more than that, filtering and stuff, I'm trying to work out how to turn a long sample into a piece of clay. What I've done so far is a bit rigid.

I'm sure FL is maybe not the best app to use, it's the only one I've used and I find it very user friendly. Maybe renoise would be better, have heard good things about it (and Aaron uses it!)

the more obvious thing about the mix are the hi mediums. There's generally too much of them and it makes the mix sounding aggressive, unpleasant if you listen to it at a reasonably loud level. It's especially obvious on the kind of hhat sound and then on the scraping sound. You could try use some EQ for balancing those thing. I think there's also something somewhere (frequency-wise) into the kick, too much low medium I'd say (around 100-150 Hz?). You could also try to compress the snare so that its attack is snappier. Well those are just mix ideas, you've to see what you want to do here and there.

The way your monitors sound (speakers or headphones) is also determining. Hearing this mix I think it could be that they don't have so much hi-meds, which explains why you mixed too much of them. Anyway you should keep the mix tweaks rough and quick until you've come to a more finished stage of the track making.

As for the composition aspect, I find the sample actually already engaging and not too static, but I know that when you start digging into that kind of manipulations you always see more and more things to improve across the work.

Renoise is an impressive software when it comes to sample manipulations. It doesn't look so friendly first but is actually pretty easy to learn. It also has crazy LFOs which you can assign to anything and manipulate in a very interesting way.

Keep it up and don't hesitate to post other versions of your track ;-)

Archived