IGNORED

Stump Digger

Feel free to be as critical as possible.

I run into problems here, because I want music to challenge me in new & unexpected ways, and me giving criticism at times feels like saying "this isn't fitting with my preconceived notions of what music should sound like"

I mention this, because listening to the track I initially found myself thinking, "this would be good espionage movie stuff, but it needs some sort of clean synth lead to give it an emotive voice". But as it progressed along I felt more & more like I was being enveloped in a unique sonic environment (the flippy bits around 2:00 in particular). Like I want to make comparisons to Middle Eastern music but that cheapens the affect.

Point is, if that clean synth lead had materialized, it would just be fulfilling my expectations & not spinning my mind into new directions (subtly, I mean. This track didn't have me going "omg wtf is this entirely new thing", but it did perk up my attention a bit). I was reading Marshall Machulan a few weeks back & he had this whole thing about how the role of the artist is to shock people into recognizing old systems by way of new ideas, something like that

anyway nice trak, got any albums or eps for me to d/l? Because social media is cool & all but there's too much, I'll likely never return to this moment if I don't sequester some of it to my personal compucapsule

Feel free to be as critical as possible.

I run into problems here, because I want music to challenge me in new & unexpected ways, and me giving criticism at times feels like saying "this isn't fitting with my preconceived notions of what music should sound like"

I mention this, because listening to the track I initially found myself thinking, "this would be good espionage movie stuff, but it needs some sort of clean synth lead to give it an emotive voice". But as it progressed along I felt more & more like I was being enveloped in a unique sonic environment (the flippy bits around 2:00 in particular). Like I want to make comparisons to Middle Eastern music but that cheapens the affect.

Point is, if that clean synth lead had materialized, it would just be fulfilling my expectations & not spinning my mind into new directions (subtly, I mean. This track didn't have me going "omg wtf is this entirely new thing", but it did perk up my attention a bit). I was reading Marshall Machulan a few weeks back & he had this whole thing about how the role of the artist is to shock people into recognizing old systems by way of new ideas, something like that

anyway nice trak, got any albums or eps for me to d/l? Because social media is cool & all but there's too much, I'll likely never return to this moment if I don't sequester some of it to my personal compucapsule

Really appreciate the feedback, so are you saying if I had a really obvious synth lead playing a recognizable melody, it would have been a better track?

I do not have any ep/albums yet. I just got into making music but i have a few other tracks on my soundcloud. Thinking of making an ep with this sort of murky mood

Really appreciate the feedback, so are you saying if I had a really obvious synth lead playing a recognizable melody, it would have been a better track?

nah, what i'm thinking is that it would have been better at capturing a particular mood that already exists in other music, but in doing so it would have potentially destroyed the mood you've actually managed to capture here.

Thinking of making an ep with this sort of murky mood

i could dig it. make a thread for it when you do, i might see it & remember to chekkit

this would be great to listen to at the start of a rave - nice dirty atmosphere, reminds me of some demdike stuff and in a way, steinvord (the colour of it)

just an idea, but maybe some speech or other real world samples could give it a context that would fire the imagination - maybe if the speech or sound were oblique and dream like in some way (speech with inexplicable elements or tone, sounds that sound strange together)

Archived