IGNORED

Critique the song of the person above you

gmanyo

I wanted to try this out awhile ago when YLC was a total dead zone, but even now that it's doing a bit better I still want to give this a shot. I couldn't find an old one, but if there is I'm starting afresh. Post a track you made, old or new, and critique the track of the person above you. Sort of like the rate music above you thread.

RULES:

- Don't post constantly. I don't think there should be a technical limit on this, but try not to post more than once per page at the default page size.

- You CAN post the same track multiple times. In fact, it might be a good idea to update your track after getting some critique, and then post the updated one.

- Give thoughtful critique. "I like it" is not helpful.

- This is a critical listening and critique thread; don't expect everything someone says about your track to be good, and don't take everyone's opinions to heart. Still, don't be an asshole. Try to find something good to write about in each song, even if you otherwise didn't like it.

- In the case of two reviews accidentally getting posted twice, the second post can be ignored. Sorry if this happens to you, but it's inevitable. If this does happen to you, you may feel free to post again as soon as you like, but you do have to review the next track.

- Make it clear what track you're reviewing, specifically because of the case in the last rule. If you were reviewing mine you could put @gmanyo or quote my track or something.

- You may critique other songs if you like them or noticed something specific in them, just make sure you also review the previous track if you upload one yourself. You may also critique songs without posting tracks (they don't have to be the previous one in this case), but the next person to post a track must still review the previous track posted.

edit

- Try to upload using an embeddable site (soundcloud, youtube) or at least somewhere where we won't have to download your stuff.

/edit

I think that's about it. So I'll start:

@ gynamo

this isnt the sort of music i listen to for enjoyment due to its beat fucked nature, but yeah. this was really impressive. the stereo imaging reminds me of being trippin and trying to listen to music on occasion. really does sound like two completely separate ideas coming out of each speaker. thumbs up from me. reminded me of akufen on meth.

one thing i would maybe suggest is that it doesnt need to sound quite so much like its finished at each pause at the end? because of the rythmically nuts nature of the tune, it doesnt really have the impact that full cuts have when you have a tune where you can keep the rhythm locked in your brain.

for me, only just posted it there in a thread, but.

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/aacd15013ec48453f3dcfde84fb3881620141113220228/2fa99f2dca27d1f95671bb40dcbdb8be20141113220228/3f8d60

no soundcloud sorry.

messian, I really liked your track. I've been getting more into techno-ish stuff lately. Real chill, mad vibes. I don't know if I liked the ending fade out though. I think something better could be done with it.

Added stuff for future reference: try to post stuff using an embeddable website so people can just click-and-play. Part of what will make this thread work is that people it doesn't take much time to do.

Whoever posts a track next make sure to critique messian's track.

yeah sorry about that. i just cant be arsed with posting tunes on soundcloud as soon as they're made any more, gonna save them up and actually try for releases. i hear you with the ending, although at the same time this is designed to be mixed, its a definite 12'' tune rather than an album one. cheers anyway. good idea for a thread.

Whoever posts a track next make sure to critique messian's track.

I like how Messian put the donk in it, + some weird vocalish sounds, cool. Thought the sidechain volume ducking could be less on certain sounds, differently scaled between tracks instead of sounding like its run on the master channel? Also felt it could use moar layers, maybe some pads to tie it together over time? (always the damn pads tying) Not a big house nut so what do I know..

My cousin cleared his attic and apparently still had his Amiga and disk collection, featuring some of my unfinished mods from the Protracker days. Been trying to run these the last couple of days, but a lot of checksum errors whatever that means, disks wont load :( . From that same 1994-1995 era I salvaged this tune a while ago from my own disks, what should I have done with it? ;-)

Archived