IGNORED

Do you ever listen through your samples and find something you dont know if you wrote or not?

lala

interesting perspective. ive got gigs of stuff lying around.

Do you reuse them?

After 15 Years and about 1gig of audio i put on the internet, i came to the conclusion that i dont. To me this feels like remixing myself, which is a thing that i dont do. The only samples that i store and backup two times are the samples folder on my octatrack that i use for my current live act. If i decide to not play it anymore, i delete that too. Another thing that happend was deleting all presets of any kind on my soft synths and additionally buying hardware synths that don't have the ability to store presets. (ms20-mini, vermona stuff and some ehx stomp boxes) When i need a sound, i just sit down and record one, use it and delete it again.

i use them. im trying to think if i re-use them. no i dont think i do. mine is quite acid/freestyle tweeking, so i prefer to do bits live

i could probably get away with deleting them! maybe i should move them onto a hardrive and put it away for a month to test - thats what people do, right? when they want to check to see if something is missed or not

What would be any benefits?

maybe i should move them onto a hardrive and put it away for a month to test - thats what people do, right?

yeah, i did that too at first. After some years i noticed that i will not copy stuff back. So i deleted the backups.

What would be any benefits?

You dont waste your time to search and clicking through stuff... ;) I hate that -> "I need a bass drum, let me take a look... " 10min later -> oh, this one might be ok'ish... (but you used it already on 20 tracks.) For me this is -> "I need a bass drum... lets create one" Then i sit down on the ms-20 and record something that works like a bassdrum but sounds kinda different. Then i record a sub layer for it. If i'm in the need for a top layer, i go to the kitchen with my fieldrecorder and record me hamming on things or throwing something to the floor. After that i put all the stuff into a sampler, layer and process it. The final thing is a bassdrum that does not sound like something i heard before. I like that. I do that with all sounds i use. To me, it is more fun that way, because i do not sit in front of a laptop / pc all the time.

Another side effect is that you dont need to invest into a lot of hdd space, instead you can invest in small and very fast SSDs.

i make all my beats with my analogue elektrons so i can do that.

i like presets tho - i like making them for use in the future, thats their purpose. a nice day making presets is good fun for me...

but lots of recordings im never going to do anything with? hmmmm another question

Guest wyvern

Happens to me all the time. I've got thousands of hours of samples and tracks. How the fuck do I remember which ones I made and when?

not for a track or project, as in whether or not i made that thing. but there are a few projects i have saved where there is a cool sound or melody going and because of how its laid out, i don't know if i actually made that sound, or wrote that melody, or if its just a sample or loop i found. fortunately those ones arent too great anyway

Archived