IGNORED

nord modular thread

Guest dugbert

Guest dugbert

i'm going to save up for one of these next

i want to use the 4 inputs to add different effects to 4 different sounds (probably drums)

while simultaneously having it run 1 or 2 or 3 separate chains of synthesized sounds (which are all playing different notes and stuff, perhaps each on their own midi channel?)

does this sound about right?

anybody have one?

or used one?

Guest man with no name

i love my g2. use it everyday...yea, it's possible to have a preformance where one slot takes care of all the input processing, while other slots have different sequenced synths running.

I am also saving up for one. Originally I was going to be cheap and go for the rack, but I decided I need a nice interface to work with, so Im going for the keyboard

I'd also like to add that there is a free editor demo on clavias site. It takes up a FUCK load of CPU, is monophonic, and certain features are disabled (the vocoder, the 2 FM osc's, and the MIDI modules) but thats hardly anything really... you can still do amazing stuff with everything else AND you can save the patches and they will open on a real G2 once you get it... so I've been making patches on my computer... I got like 40-50 right now, so my sound library is already building up for it.

So yeah, go play with that until you can afford to buy a real one...

I would really cream myself in a disgustingly inappropriate way if I happend upon one of these. I still find fun new tricks out of my tiny little G1 Micro Modular every day. Its a tossup whether or not I should buy another Micro Mod on the cheap ($250) or save up for the G2 Engine.

Guest Iain C
Micro Modular

How is that anyway? I was thinking about one of these coz I want to get into some more involved synthesisings but I'm also short on dough. And does anyone have any idea where I could find a nice second-hand one in the UK? :laughing:

ooh, there's one in the Gear Box forum...

Guest dugbert

how do the Micro Modular/Modular/Modular G2 compare?

like how many ins/outs, slots, voices can you have?

Guest man with no name

i've heard someone say that the micro modular has a much more "dirtier" sound than the g2. Apperantly, it's better for bass sounds than the g2... the g2 engine has 4 ins/4 outs. The number of voices depends on the type of patch you have running. I think the max is 16, but I don't know since I only need 4-6 voices...If that's not enough, then you can always get the expansion card (which doubles the DSP) http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NordModG2Exp/

Guest dugbert

i've heard someone say that the micro modular has a much more "dirtier" sound than the g2. Apperantly, it's better for bass sounds than the g2... the g2 engine has 4 ins/4 outs. The number of voices depends on the type of patch you have running. I think the max is 16, but I don't know since I only need 4-6 voices...If that's not enough, then you can always get the expansion card (which doubles the DSP) http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NordModG2Exp/

i'm wondering about the nord modular (not g2) and the micro though

because the technical details are no longer available on the clavia website

Guest man with no name

i'm wondering about the nord modular (not g2) and the micro though

because the technical details are no longer available on the clavia website

http://www.sequencer.de/syns/clavia/NordMi...croModular.html

The micro mod has 1/4 the DSP of the original modular, and therefore 1/4 the voices for any given patch. Realistically, 3 is about the most youll find for any given patch, with 1 or 2 voice being more typical. But, oh, what insanely fat and delicious voices those are!

Guest Iain C

Let's hear some samples then! :laughing: Looks like a good purchase for someone like me who's into synths and music making as a hobby and doesn't have a whole load of cash to blow...

i'm thinking about picking up a micro to tide me over until i can afford the g2

well, if you are getting a g2 at somepoint, why not just use the free demo? also, patches you make for the original nord, wont convert to the g2

Let's hear some samples then! :laughing: Looks like a good purchase for someone like me who's into synths and music making as a hobby and doesn't have a whole load of cash to blow...

Don't have time at the moment to sort out some straight Micro Mod sounds and post them, Ill do so tommorow eveningish though, promise!

Guest dugbert

well, if you are getting a g2 at somepoint, why not just use the free demo? also, patches you make for the original nord, wont convert to the g2

cause the demo of the editor doesn't make sounds =]

i'm sure the micro will get used a lot even after i pick up the G2

cause the demo of the editor doesn't make sounds =]

certainly makes sounds for me!

it's quite useful actually - you can't play an external MIDI device in with it, but you can set up loads of those 909-style loop sequencers and have them triggering all sorts of mad sounds... it's one of my main sound design tools when i'm on the move

check the soundcard settings and try loading some of their demo patches

amazing they just give it away tbh

Sweet tip on the G2 editor Kcinsu, thats really very cool of them to offer, and its loads of fun to play with.

For Iain and anyone else who'd like to hear, here is me playing around with the filters on a droning note playing a patch I made to (very loosely) emulate the Synton Fenix. Note, this means theres a bunch of unused modules laying around (as youll see in the screenshot) but it's really just a fun toy of a patch. Plus having a screen filled with modules makes for a really impressive looking screenshot.

Also note, I didn't really do any editing to this file because Im in a rush, so its like two and a half minutes of filter wank. This really doesnt even scratch the surface of the range of sounds the micro mod can do, either.

post-211-1149189842_thumb.jpg

Heres a patch I made at work a few weeks ago (I put the demo on the work computer, so most of my time at work is just messing with the modular...muwahahah)

just holding down one note:

NordDemoWoosh.mp3

also ten fingers: yeah, from your mp3, it does sound like the micro has more of a rough edge to it

Archived