IGNORED

nord modular thread

Guest dugbert

i'm thinking about a nord.

looking for muti timbrality, great sounds, and ease of use.

don't want to break the bank... got a ms2000 recently, and i'm kinda disappointed with it.. it's not that powerful. (though the vocoder is nice.)

any recommendations?

i'm thinking about a nord.

looking for muti timbrality, great sounds, and ease of use.

don't want to break the bank... got a ms2000 recently, and i'm kinda disappointed with it.. it's not that powerful. (though the vocoder is nice.)

any recommendations?

Well are you specifically looking for something modular or something notmodular?

Ive owned a Nordlead 2, but I sold it mostly because I didn't need the generous polyphony and multi-timbrality that I got from it, and my Micro Modular can be literally a Nord Lead 2 and then a whole bunch of other shit... but minus any polyphony to speak of....

You know enough about this stuff to know what you're getting with the Nordlead series... its VA... it sounds pretty nice... its well built... you could drop by any local shop to hear one and fiddle with it.

The Nord Modular series though, I find really really excellent. They're a bit more limited than something like Reaktor, but to my ears they sound a bit more.. distinct... plus I find the slight bit of limitation to spur creativity... Not sure why I'm going on about these though since I don't think you can get any multi-timbrality from any of the Nord Modular series... maybe the G2 I haven't really read up on that....

i don't mind, as long as it has the features i described.. great sounds, ease of use, particularly for live jamming, and multi timprality/good polyphony.

Well certainly then the Nord Modular stuff is probably not it.. no multi timbrality to speak of there... although that's a BIT misleading since you could load up a patch with 6 Osc's or whathave you and route them all totaly differently and have a patch that feels and sounds like more than one sound. I would recommend playing a Nordlead 2x though at you local shop. The sound is very distinct and its very love it or leave it. The built quality will not dissapoint so it will come down to the sound. Certainly though, its well suited for live jamming.

Guest man with no name
Sounds like uhhh.. Sample and Hold with a random input?

nah, just a couple of lfos and sequencers

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I would dredge this up to share this site:

http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodula...m_book_toc.html

Even those of you with super fancy G2's should be able to get some good insight out of this... Really hyper advanced shit in here, including WAY better speech synthesis than I thought was possible with the little red box.

Guest man with no name
Figured I would dredge this up to share this site:

http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodula...m_book_toc.html

Even those of you with super fancy G2's should be able to get some good insight out of this... Really hyper advanced shit in here, including WAY better speech synthesis than I thought was possible with the little red box.

yea, that link rocks...

also

http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-43.html

forum for nord modular classic/g2 discussion + a massive patch archive

• 10 months later...
it's on!

make sure you get the latest version of the software(1.40) because the patch mutator is very useful!

• 1 month later...
Guest pelican
Sweet tip on the G2 editor Kcinsu, thats really very cool of them to offer, and its loads of fun to play with.

For Iain and anyone else who'd like to hear, here is me playing around with the filters on a droning note playing a patch I made to (very loosely) emulate the Synton Fenix. Note, this means theres a bunch of unused modules laying around (as youll see in the screenshot) but it's really just a fun toy of a patch. Plus having a screen filled with modules makes for a really impressive looking screenshot.

Also note, I didn't really do any editing to this file because Im in a rush, so its like two and a half minutes of filter wank. This really doesnt even scratch the surface of the range of sounds the micro mod can do, either.

doesn't sound like my fenix

Sweet tip on the G2 editor Kcinsu, thats really very cool of them to offer, and its loads of fun to play with.

For Iain and anyone else who'd like to hear, here is me playing around with the filters on a droning note playing a patch I made to (very loosely) emulate the Synton Fenix. Note, this means theres a bunch of unused modules laying around (as youll see in the screenshot) but it's really just a fun toy of a patch. Plus having a screen filled with modules makes for a really impressive looking screenshot.

Also note, I didn't really do any editing to this file because Im in a rush, so its like two and a half minutes of filter wank. This really doesnt even scratch the surface of the range of sounds the micro mod can do, either.

doesn't sound like my fenix

I see we're not going to be pulling any fast ones over on YOU!

hehe!

I dont think I can make them work together... but Ill be able to play twice as many patches at once!

Doesn't the G2 have more extensive MIDI modules tho? I haven't really read on them too much since I didn't have one but I had thought you could do crazy generative poly stuff by inter-working MIDI in's and out's between the two.

Archived