IGNORED

Atonal Synth

ceiling

Been messing around with Synplant a lot recently and adore the atonality slider. Apologies If this sounds dumb but is there a way of making my other plugins atonal?? Specifically Lush 101 and ES2. 

Basically, what is happening inside synplant when I'm pushing that Atonality slider?

What happens when you turn up the atonal slider? Is it stretching or compressing the keyboard range?

Korg ms2000 has all these tuning settings. For instance you can set it to true minor, and set the root as C, but then play in a different key, and the notes will be out of tune in a great way. It's how I get it to sound more analog, more character.

Also, any synth with a decent mod matrix can be made "atonal" by adjusting pitch key tracking.

No I mean normally osc pitch tracks the keys at a value of 100%, or a ratio of 1:1. This means playing a C1, C2, C3 on the keyboard will produce those notes. But on many synths, you can change that ratio. You can make an octave on the keyboard span a greater or lesser distance than an actual octave, which creates "atonal" possibilities.

Archived